Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Castelli Gabba alternative

I've been looking at the Castelli Gabba 3 RoS Jersey, which I appreciate is the gold standard for changeable weather clothing. However, I simply can't justify/afford the £150 price tag. Are there any cheaper alternatives that do a similar job?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

44 comments

Pyro Tim | 3 years ago
1 like

Endura pro sl classics jersey. It's excellent with removable waterproof sleeves

flyingpitman replied to Pyro Tim | 3 years ago
0 likes

Pyro Tim wrote:

Endura pro sl classics jersey. It's excellent with removable waterproof sleeves

+1 Tim.I like mine too,but I could only get it in black.I got the la Passione in Orange and like it just as much as the Endura,but wear it more often.I keep the Endura for spring when the days are longer.

I do like Endura kit never been dissapointed in anything from them.

flyingpitman | 3 years ago
0 likes

A bit late to reply.La Passione do excellent kit,and their PSN jersey is every bit as good as the Gabba.It comes in long or short sleeve.Check out their other kit too.I have a few bits and all been great.

https://uk.lapassione.cc/collections/mens-collection/products/psn-ls-rai...

Spangly Shiny | 3 years ago
1 like

Jared, I have a Mk 1 Gabba for sale in size XL (40-42") used only a handful of times. I discovered that if it's cold enough for a Gabba I want to go long sleeved.
£40 posted.

Sorry, I can't figure out how to rotate the image.

JaredP91 replied to Spangly Shiny | 3 years ago
0 likes

I'd definitely be interested in that. If you can hold it until Monday (my pay day), I'll happily take off your hands. I've just got a pair of Sportful No Rain arm warmers, so they will make the ideal pairing.

Spangly Shiny replied to JaredP91 | 3 years ago
1 like

Will do.

0 likes

Let me know how you'd like to sort out the payment e.g. PayPal and how to let you know the delivery address and I'll sort tomorrow.

0 likes

Hi @Spangly Shiny, if it's still avaliable I would still be interested in purchasing your Gabba jersey.

Spangly Shiny replied to JaredP91 | 3 years ago
0 likes

Send delivery and email address to camsentry-road.cc [at] yahoo.co.uk (disposable e-mail address) and I will send my Paypal details. 

mostly | 3 years ago
3 likes

Everywhere seems full price at the moment, have a look at galibier and their mistral jacket, for the money it’s excellent.

JaredP91 replied to mostly | 3 years ago
1 like

I actually own a Mistral jacket, fantastic bit of kit at the price.

TheBillder replied to JaredP91 | 3 years ago
2 likes
JaredP91 wrote:

I actually own a Mistral jacket, fantastic bit of kit.

FTFY.

Wearing mine in the morning, forecast says 3 degrees at 0800 but 10 by noon. Should be comfortable throughout with just a base layer.

Secret_squirrel replied to TheBillder | 3 years ago
1 like

Another happy Mistral owner here, with Mistral bib tights as well.  Used them both on Friday as it was brass monkeys.   £150 buys you the full set. Less if you check their eBay returns site.

The only observations (not complaints) I would make is the jersey is cut bib-short high at the front non-bib wearers might get a little draughty.  Also the rear pockets are quite high, but v deep as a result.

I cycled most of last winter in cold and rain with just the mistrals and a long sleeve merino base.  Toasty and Dry.

So all in all - in your face Gabba!

AlsoSomniloquism replied to Secret_squirrel | 3 years ago
1 like

Another plus for Galibier kit. When I saw the main man at his stand at the Brum Cycle Show last year, he said that the pockets had become unintentionally high due to new design adding the extra length drop at the back. I think the very slight design flaws do stop it being billiant kit rather then just very good kit. 

don simon fbpe replied to mostly | 3 years ago
1 like

I've just bought a Mistral as the Castelli waterproof (not Gabba) was pretty pathetic. The Mistral is an out and out hardshell waterproof and not an alternative to the Gabba which is a softshell.

That Gabba Mk1 will be the one to get for length. I think, much like the Galibier which comes up short, the latest Gabbas have become shorter over time. My Mk1 will be going in the reserves drawer after 6 odd years and being torn up after the accident. They're well worth the money.

Just for reference, I bought the Galibier after reading a Road.cc article, as I tend to do for most kit that I buy.

TheBillder replied to don simon fbpe | 3 years ago
0 likes

No, the Mistral is definitely a soft shell. I'm short legged and hence longer topped, and whilst it does seem a bit high on the waist when standing, it seems to fit well on the bike.

don simon fbpe replied to TheBillder | 3 years ago
0 likes

I guess my hardshell with a Mistral tag is labelled incorrectly then.

TheBillder replied to don simon fbpe | 3 years ago
0 likes

Perhaps - I checked the website as well to see that I wasn't imagining it or just wrong. Mine has nothing in common with a cagoule apart from sleeves and zip.

don simon fbpe | 3 years ago
0 likes

I thought that I had read that the Perfetto is the new renamed and cheaper version of the Gabba.

I've got a Perfetto here that's brand new and too small for me. what size are you?

I picked up my latest Gabba from one of the discount bike gear websites, worth looking around

I also would avoid Capo, unless they've improved their zips and pockets.

JaredP91 replied to don simon fbpe | 3 years ago
0 likes

It's all very confusing with the new name. By Castelli sizing, I'm probably a large/XL (40 inch, 34 inch waist).

don simon fbpe replied to JaredP91 | 3 years ago
0 likes

It'll be too small for you too.

Nick T replied to don simon fbpe | 3 years ago
0 likes

Gabba is the short sleeve, Perfetto the long sleeve

kinderje replied to don simon fbpe | 3 years ago
0 likes

Sorry for jumping in the conversation but what size have you got and what would you want for it. Cheers.

don simon fbpe replied to kinderje | 3 years ago
0 likes

It's a Perfetto light, grey and black, size L and I guess £50 plus p&p. Never been worn and still with tags attatched.

kinderje replied to don simon fbpe | 3 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for getting back to me, sounds too big for me, I'm usually somewhere between Medium and Small. Thanks though.

don simon fbpe replied to kinderje | 3 years ago
1 like

Not a problem. Is that a Castelli S/M or real world? Given I'm a M/L in real world but XL in Castelliworld.

steveadore replied to don simon fbpe | 3 years ago
0 likes

don simon fbpe wrote:

It's a Perfetto light, grey and black, size L and I guess £50 plus p&p. Never been worn and still with tags attatched.

Hi,

I might be interested in the Perfetto. Is it the "Light 2" version? Could you perhaps PM me some photos?

Cheers

don simon fbpe replied to steveadore | 3 years ago
0 likes

It is indeed the Light 2 version. It's a little creased from having been in a drawer for a while, otherwise as new condition.

don simon fbpe replied to don simon fbpe | 3 years ago
0 likes

Label shot.

steveadore replied to don simon fbpe | 3 years ago
0 likes

Thanks! How much would shipping to Budapest (Hungary) or Vienna (Austria) cost?

Pages

Latest Comments