Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Caroline Henry: Driving ban for police boss caught speeding five times

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-62207530

Luxury cars, personalised number plate, don't think traffic laws apply to them. So predictable. Get's a ban and then claims hardship! 

She should resign. 

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

16 comments

mike the bike | 1 year ago
3 likes

Whilst I'm sure her resignation letter has been delayed in the post I still find myself looking every day for the announcement.  Surely this serial lawbreaker cannot continue in her post?  Or am I deluded?  Or are speed limits only for the little people?

Wardy74 replied to mike the bike | 1 year ago
7 likes

The arrogance of this type of speeding is reflected in the arrogance of refusal to resign. She's my local commissioner too, and has lost all credibility - how can she now support speed reduction schemes without potential offenders or objectors raising her hypocrisy.

Bungle_52 | 1 year ago
2 likes

This story made the Times today. In the comments a great many people think that the role of PCC is a complete waste of time and money. Got me thinking and I tend to agree.

Just wondering if anyone on here has had any positive experience with PCCs.

lonpfrb replied to Bungle_52 | 1 year ago
2 likes
Bungle_52 wrote:

Just wondering if anyone on here has had any positive experience with PCCs.

Before I implemented Avoidance I was close passed at speed with a rear facing camera, which evidence I reported to Kent Police.

The careless driver was offered a course but declined so at Court was convicted and sentenced for costs, victim surcharge and points.

I can't evidence that the Kent PCC was responsible for that outcome however they did state their commitment to road safety and their office did write to me, which I was not expecting.

So my experience is good and plausible that PCC was effective.

wtjs replied to Bungle_52 | 1 year ago
3 likes

Just wondering if anyone on here has had any positive experience with PCCs
No, they ARE a waste of time and money and should be binned- they find themselves unable to say 'boo' to a goose, never mind a police officer. All they do, in place of proper scrutiny of the police, is simply relay what the police say. If we want to read lies about police corruption and inefficiency, we might as well take them direct from the source

IanMSpencer | 1 year ago
5 likes

As I said in the Daily Blog, the judge (interesting it was a judge, not magistrate now I think of it) gave short shrift to the hardship case, basically saying hubby could do the running around for her if it came to it.

That makes me wonder if magistrates are more prone to sob stories than judges on totting up - though generally the serious cases we get miffed about (anything with a potential sentence above 6 months) are sentenced by judges.

The guidance on exceptional hardship is both exceptional and hardship to others being the major considerations.

lonpfrb replied to IanMSpencer | 1 year ago
1 like
IanMSpencer wrote:

That makes me wonder if magistrates are more prone to sob stories than judges on totting up - though generally the serious cases we get miffed about (anything with a potential sentence above 6 months) are sentenced by judges

The Sentencing Council provides guidance in the interests of consistency and fairness. My guess would be that Judges are more able to apply that with critical thinking and courage (professional) than Magistrates (volunteer).

andystow | 1 year ago
6 likes

Her defence solicitor, Rhys Rosser, urged the court not to ban her so she could visit her child in hospital in Salisbury, in Wiltshire, arguing it "cannot be done by public transport".

That's a trip that can easily be done by bicycle in just a few days.

Rendel Harris replied to andystow | 1 year ago
9 likes

andystow wrote:

Her defence solicitor, Rhys Rosser, urged the court not to ban her so she could visit her child in hospital in Salisbury, in Wiltshire, arguing it "cannot be done by public transport".

That's a trip that can easily be done by bicycle in just a few days.

More realistically it can be done by train in four hours and four minutes compared to the average car time of three hours - "I'm not prepared to give up an extra hour to see my kid in hospital" probably wouldn't have sounded that great in court as a mitigation plea.

qwerty360 replied to andystow | 1 year ago
3 likes

Or what, 5-6 hours each way with bike + train from the vast majority of Nottinghamshire. (vs 3.5-5 to drive)

Can train it from Derby or Newark (railway stations with express links) in ~3.5/hours. So taxi/bike/lift + rail isn't that much slower than driving direct...

hawkinspeter | 1 year ago
2 likes

Most other jobs would invoke 'gross negligence' and sack them and that would be after only one or transgressions.

Then again, the MET police have shown how politicised the police can become and end up acting as Downing Street's personal army. Or was that just Thatcher?

Hirsute | 1 year ago
10 likes

Just a bit of momentary inattention. Could have happened to anyone.

iandusud replied to Hirsute | 1 year ago
3 likes

hirsute wrote:

Just a bit of momentary inattention. Could have happened to anyone.

Five times

Hirsute replied to iandusud | 1 year ago
3 likes

I was just trotting out the standard line !

iandusud replied to Hirsute | 1 year ago
2 likes

I was being sarcastic yes

Owd Big 'Ead | 1 year ago
16 likes

Had to laugh.
My local PCC.
How on earth do we expect to affect change when the very person tasked with making change happen can't do it right.
They should give her a bicycle, I'm sure it would do her the world of good and make her realise how great a danger the motor car is to everyone else but the driver.
What a dozy mare.

Latest Comments