Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Canterbury City Council warden fines woman for having one wheel on kerb

I thought the legal position on pavement parking outside London was the subject of a consultation - have I missed a trick here?  

It's a something and nothing story - PCN issued and cancelled - one tyre on the kerbstone, which seems a sensible outcome coming from me whose village is overrun with pavement parking that I wish the police or council would tackle, but I fear that ship has sailed. 

I was (pleasantly) surprised at how little sympathy she received in the comments. 

https://www.kentonline.co.uk/canterbury/news/fined-for-having-one-wheel-...

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

2 comments

mdavidford | 3 years ago
0 likes

If by 'missed a trick' you mean lost the opportunity to respond to the consultation, then yes, I'm afraid so - it closed on 22 Nov.

I don't think it's directly relevant to this case though. It's already an offence to park on the pavement where a specific local order is in place against it, which it sounds like was the case here.

The consultation was looking at options to (a) allow local authorities to enforce against 'obstructing the pavement' (a bit vague and subjective) without first needing a local order, which currently only the police can do, or (b) make it an offence to park on the pavement at all, regardless of whether it's 'obstructing', unless it is specifically allowed by the local authority.

Alessandro | 3 years ago
3 likes

What a great outcome and absolutely no sympathy with her. As the comments suggest, how can you not be aware of mounting a kerb in your car, especially when it's as small as a Ka? 

Perhaps it's growing into middle age and becoming grumpy about almost everything in the modern world but I've started emailing companies whose employees leave vehicles on kerbs. I'm not sure whether it will achieve much but my hope is that whoever reads it will recognise that people are aware of such matters and could take them into account when choosing a supplier. At the very least, it gives me a place to vent my frustration at what their employees are up to. 

Latest Comments