Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Campagnolo Shamal Wheels Freehub Question

Hello, I am considering purchasing a set of Campagnolo Shamal wheels. All the bike shops who have them for sale show that the cassette compatibilty is Campagnolo. Is it possible to use a Shimano style freehub for these wheels?

Or am I confined to using a Campy cassette?

Thanks in advance for your input

V.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

10 comments

matthewn5 | 3 years ago
0 likes

Shamal Ultra wheelsets can be ordered with a Shimano HG freehub (part  FH-BUU015X1) or Campag (part number FH-BUU015). All you need to change them is a single allen key and an adjustable spanner. Note that it's a left hand thread!

But if you're going with 11 speed, it doesn't matter whether you have a Shimano or Campag freehub and cassette, as they're perfectly compatible with either 11 speed drivetrain. The Campag freehub is alloy, meaning it's appreciably lighter, but the Shimano will give you the option of larger big sprockets, if that's important.

vicbrincat replied to matthewn5 | 3 years ago
1 like

Thanks Mathew.

I will keep that in mind. Max cassette size I will be using is 11/30.

I will most likely order the Shimano hub just to keep things consistant.

Thanks again!

V.

PRSboy | 3 years ago
0 likes

I have Campag Shamals on my Shimano-equipped bike.  As suggested above, I bought a compatible shimano freehub body via my LBS for around £50 a few yrs ago and it was easy enough to swap over.

They are great wheels!

Recoveryride | 3 years ago
1 like

All Campag wheels that I'm aware of will take a standard HG11 Shimano freehub; here's what you need (https://www.totalcycling.com/en/Campagnolo-Steel-Freehub-Body-For-Shiman...)

Nb - Ebay can often be a good place to pick up freehubs cheap, as it's common for people to buy the wrong one/not look at the small print. They can be expensive new but I picked up a SRAM XDR freehub straight off a new bike for £12 (would have been £50 new).

vicbrincat replied to Recoveryride | 3 years ago
0 likes

Recoveryride, thank you for your quick response and for your direction. I will certainly check out the link and ebay.

Cheers!

don simon fbpe | 3 years ago
0 likes

Which Shamal are you going for? I would guess that the free hub can be changed on whichever wheels at that price.

https://www.probikekit.co.uk/bicycle-wheels/campagnolo-shamal-ultra-c17-...

vicbrincat replied to don simon fbpe | 3 years ago
0 likes

Hi Don, I was not even aware that there were different models of Shamal...clearly I need to do some more research. But to answer your question the set that I looked at was Campagnolo Shamal Ultra 2-Way Fit Tubeless Wheelset. 

Thank you for the link!

V.

don simon fbpe replied to vicbrincat | 3 years ago
0 likes
vicbrincat replied to don simon fbpe | 3 years ago
0 likes

Thanks again Don.

(I'm in Canada) ..here are the ones that I have looked at from my LBS..

https://www.spokeomotion.com/product/campagnolo-shamal-ultra-2-way-fit-t...

V.

don simon fbpe replied to vicbrincat | 3 years ago
0 likes

Fair enough, HG 11 is the way forward.

Latest Comments