Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Bikes and Cars vs Bikes and Pedestrians

This is a genuinely objective question, and I can't figure it out (but hope one of you can!). Why do we think motorists and cyclists can share space (i.e. on roads, paths etc) but cyclists and pedestrians can't?

My POV is that motorists and cyclists sharing space on roads seems to be manageable (hah! not based on current evidence) when both parties follow most current advice and rules as set out in the HC.

But cyclists and pedestrians sharing shared-use paths I find just untenable. Is this because HC rules and advice (eg. short leads on dogs) are not widely understood in relation to shared-use paths? Or is this because, as people have suggested in the comments of that dog walker article, that shared-use paths are a bit crap?

Cat ----> pigeons.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

13 comments

vthejk | 2 years ago
1 like

Really interesting conversation all around. I really like the point that @IanMSpencer has raised about cycling being multimodal.

It seems that the issue is that one-size-fits-all is assumed when planning cycling infra, but this is then populated by such a massive diversity of cycling needs and wants that it becomes untenable.

I suppose we won't see a homogeneity within cycling as we do in motoring (eg. speed limits, consistent power outputs for car models) until all humans are homogenous, which just creates an image of a Blade Runner-esque replicant horror universe and is totally unrealistic IMO. Part of what makes cycling incredible seems to be the diversity of approaches to cycling - it is indeed for everyone.

I wonder if the Netherlands-style approach discussed below, of varying types of paths, has been tried properly anywhere in the UK? I mean, I'll take my bike with 650x47 tires on roads made and unmade, on paths, off road and on trails to stitch a route together; but not everyone can, which is where continuous and uninterrupted stretches of specific types of cycling infra would make sense. People might actually ride their bikes more often if they knew they wouldn't have to use unsuitable surfaces (for their kind of bike, anyway) at any point.

IanMSpencer | 2 years ago
7 likes

The problem is that cycling is multimodal.

Councils invariably are designing for reluctant cyclists, so their target is slow speeds, pottering to the shops, riders who are pedestrians with wheels.

Then there are cyclists where cycling is the thing, there are places to go, fitness to acquire plus a bit of that MGIF impatience that we complain of in motorists.

Cyclists also change modes, which is where motorists get frustrated - and why pseudo-pedestrian cyclists see no problem of crossing a road like a pedestrian including not waiting for lights because they would walk across the same crossing point on foot.

Add in cycle paths are rarely appropriate for group cycling - in fact, we now have Orcas to deal within cycle lanes that make cycle lanes unsuitable for group cycling.

Returning to the subject - some of the problem is that while cyclists change modes, not all cyclists are prepared to adapt their mode to the circumstances (see 30mph cyclists in heavy London traffic as an example - expecting motorists to be able to adapt to some of their behaviour is unrealistic).

Sriracha replied to IanMSpencer | 2 years ago
3 likes

I think you've hit a nail squarely on the head here. As I tootled along a tow path this morning in the gorgeous spring sunshine, in no particular hurry, I had zero difficulty slowing to a crawl as I passed dog walkers and push chair pushers etc, who responded amicably to my vocal pleasantries warning of my approach.

Yet I could well imaging how they might feel had I been instead on a mission of speed, slicing past them leaving their hearts in their mouth as I shot by lest I lose precious momentum - and yet I see other cyclists do this. It's unacceptable.

Planners and cyclists alike need to distinguish between the different modes of cycling.

Hirsute | 2 years ago
3 likes

Peds have priority on a shared path and they can use any part of it whereas bikes have to stick to their bit and give way to peds when on it.

Cars and bikes use the same bit of road with about equal priority (slightly more to the cyclist) and (relatively speaking) users follow the rules and know what to do.

Shared paths are more of a free for all with very unequal priority. And there're dogs...

Also all the inherent issues of driveways where might is right.

chrisonabike replied to Hirsute | 2 years ago
2 likes

I think it mostly works automatically.  So consider the current situation in the UK: people don't feel comfortable walking in the road. (Most people wouldn't feel comfortable there even on bikes! ) And they "know it's not their space".  So despite the awful provision for them in terms of pavements they mostly stick to them. The system is self-reinforcing. (Equally - I wouldn't feel at all comfy on my bike on a motorway so I don't need the law to keep me off it.)

In e.g. The Netherlands, where you have a cycle path you've almost always got a clearly demarked pedestrian path too.  So there's a "forgiving" curb / kerb WINGMIRROR and a slight height difference and normally a different coloured surface - not just a line of paint!  People legally have a "right of way" on the cycle path but they have their "own" space, they don't have to listen out for cycle bells or worry about a bike suddenly passing them, so they tend to stick to that.  Equally cyclists have no need to inconvenience themselves by riding around pedestrians, they've their own space.  So people stick to the convention.

I believe in the countryside, for longer paths between towns and villages they just build a cycle path.  No separate footpath is normally needed.  That's because there aren't many cyclists and there are even fewer pedestrians.  So it's no trouble for the cyclists to pass the rare pedestrian they encounter.

I'm less clear about dogs but I believe it's legal to walk your dog using your bike.  I think you have to have a special attachment to the bike though.  I'm not entirely convinced by that idea myself.

brooksby | 2 years ago
2 likes

On the dogs-on-shared-paths matter in particular (discussed in excruciating detail elsewhere) I suspect that many people haven't looked at a copy of the HC since they did their driving test, and when they did that they only looked at the 'important' bits relating to driving a car around.

It never even crosses people's minds (I think) that some of the HC relates to people not in cars and/or not on a road.

And (I suspect) many pedestrians don't think that a shared-use path is a 'thing' anyway - how many of 'us' have been shouted at for riding "on the pavement" in a shared-use area?

But yes, I think that many if not most shared-use areas and paths are indeed a bit cr@p and those little blue signs have only been put up so the box has been ticked while spending a minimal amount out of the council's transport budget.

Jetmans Dad replied to brooksby | 2 years ago
3 likes

brooksby wrote:

But yes, I think that many if not most shared-use areas and paths are indeed a bit cr@p and those little blue signs have only been put up so the box has been ticked while spending a minimal amount out of the council's transport budget.

There are a few shared use paths on my route from home to school, every single one of which is simply a roadside footway that has been there for decades with a series of blue shared use signs added.

Essentially, just explicit permission to "ride on the footpath". 

Without exception they are way too narrow to accommodate even a reasonable number of pedestrians and cyclists, and in places there is a driveway literally every 20 metres. 

But ... I guess the council gets to claim they have made cycling safer as a result. 

IanMSpencer replied to Jetmans Dad | 2 years ago
0 likes

Interestingly, the Government design guidance for Cycle Infrastructure Design is anti-shared use except in sparse usage areas.

In fact the design guidance is good - it just carries no weight with local councils

Which made me wonder - if there is Government guidance which gives clear guidelines of good and bad design, are councils negligent for ignoring it?

Tom_77 | 2 years ago
5 likes

Segregated space is better - cars, bikes and pedestrians all physically seperated.

There are plenty of roads locally that I won't cycle on - there's too much traffic and/or that traffic travels too quickly.

I think bikes and pedestrians can share space, if that space is wide enough for the volume of traffic. All too often you end up with a narrow pavement with a blue circle slapped on it.

Tom_77 replied to Tom_77 | 2 years ago
3 likes

By way of contrast, I see no problem with bikes and pedestrians sharing this space.

chrisonabike replied to Tom_77 | 2 years ago
1 like

Yes and that is "luxury" in UK terms, but... Possibly a "trivial" example and I don't know where this is and it may be leading out into the countryside (so "recreational") but...  Equally it could be urban, it could be the only logical route avoiding a busy road, there might be a school part way along meaning it's extremely busy at times during the day etc.  Also this one looks like it has an unsealed surface and I don't see street lighting.

So I'm all for some recreational paths but if likely to be at all busy or if it's really a "route" for cyclists then it needs appropriate quality. So more mod-cons than for "recreational use" and some separation - as per my crude modification below.  Note lighting too and dotted line showing this is a two-way cycle path.

The Netherlands seems to have it right - they certainly have recreational paths with unsealed surfaces and in the countryside they have good-quality paths - which outside of villages are primarily cycle paths (because not so many people walking a few kilometers between towns - so they can be "guests" on a cycle path).  Anywhere that there will be many cyclists and more pedestrians each gets their own space.

Steve K | 2 years ago
2 likes

Oh, plus, of course, where possible we want segregated cycle infrastructure because we don't want cars and bikes to share space.

Steve K | 2 years ago
9 likes

There are a clear set of rules for using the road - drive/ride on the left; overtake on the right; rights of way in different circumstances etc - which don't exist on pedestrian paths (and would generally be overkill - they are not needed for pedestrians).  If you bring bikes in, you need some of those rules - including rules for the pedestrians - but not unreasonably pedestrians aren't expecting to have to follow them, becuase they are in a pedestrian area.

Or, put more simply, shared-use paths are a bit crap.

Latest Comments