Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Bicycle Insurance

Any recommendations (costs, providers) and tips appreciated.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

9 comments

Gary's bike channel | 3 years ago
0 likes

lexham insure my carrera vanquish for 34 quid a year, worth 300 quid in their eyes.

ktache | 3 years ago
0 likes

You will get third party cover with membership of CyclingUK or BritishCycling, it's sort of a tiny part of the subs.  Kind of good to have sometimes.

https://road.cc/content/news/262582-cyclist-found-partly-liable-crash-pe...

Also quite good legal cover included with soliciters that know bicycle vs motor vehicle collisions.

Insuring the bicycle against loss through theft, vandalism or crash is unfortunately shockingly expensive.  I reckon about 10% of your most expensive bike.  If you can predict the future and know that your bicycle is always safe and you are not going to crash all by yourself then putting money away each month would be an excellent option, I would have saved huge amounts/had large amount in the bank, but, the loss of any of my bicycles would be crippling in the past, and horrible now.  Peace of mind costs.

And I spend large quantities on locks and stuff.

Robbery can also occur too, which perhaps is not always good to think about.

I use CycleSure, used to be Butterworths, have for over 20 years, when they changed to CycleSure I had to do the online thing, but you can still phone up and converse with people who know stuff, and in a wonderful liverpudlian accent.  I went with them when I went I moved to Birmingham, bicycle insurance was not easy to get back then and I had to join the then CTC to obtain it.

William_F | 3 years ago
0 likes

Have a look at Laka, great value and quick to settle in my experience.

Nick T | 3 years ago
0 likes

I ran a quote for a laugh and they wanted 650 a year for one of my bikes. That's double my motorbike insurance and almost as much as my car

Hirsute | 3 years ago
1 like

Have you got a home contents policy, as that pretty much covers most of it.

Sriracha | 3 years ago
0 likes

Like the others say, it's always cheaper to carry the risk yourself, so only insure risks you can't carry. You'll also find the customer service is far better, T&Cs are more reasonable, and no quibbling! That said, adding a bike to your home insurance is often the cheapest.

Mungecrundle | 3 years ago
1 like

Insurance for what?

Third party liability, bicycle theft, cancellation of a cycle trip owing to global pandemic?

In general, my take on insurance is that unless it is a legal requirement e.g motor vehicle, or that loss of the insured thing would be financially catastrophic to you or your family e.g home buildings, life assurance. Then you are paying a premium that reflects your own risk, fraud from other people a nice fat wage to the people who work in the industry, profit margin and ultimately dividends for investors.

As Nick T states, you might be better off putting money aside each month.

Nick T | 3 years ago
0 likes

Open a savings account and stick a tenner/twenty/whatever in it every month.

If you want liability insurance in the slim chance of needing it, join British Cycling

Simon E replied to Nick T | 3 years ago
1 like

Nick T wrote:

If you want liability insurance in the slim chance of needing it, join British Cycling

Bronze membership won't get you liability cover. I have BC and CUK membership and would recommend Cycling UK as an organisation that supports all cyclists. They also have a 6-month membership promo for £15 at the moment:

https://www.cyclinguk.org/back-your-bike

There is a link on that page to an insurance quote from Cyclesense. If your household contents doesn't cover your bike(s) I'd also check out Laka, a small UK company run by cyclists that's been getting positive mentions.

Latest Comments