Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

forum

Bedfordshire police fail another person on two wheels

This would be pretty shocking if not for the context we all know. I wonder if some forces are not so much institutionally anti-cyclist as institutionally pro-car.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-62378217

An amazing, tenacious fight from the victim's partner, who has never let this go. I wonder if I could have kept going as long, dealing with bereavement as well as the system simply whitewashing the driver.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

7 comments

AlsoSomniloquism | 1 year ago
1 like

Such a tragedy because the driver couldn't be bothered to drive less then a mile to the next traffic island to turn around. 

brooksby | 1 year ago
4 likes

That story is so awful. It's terrible that the family have had to push so hard to get justice and a prosecution even attempted. And now, an element of "oh, well, he's about to retire and it wouldn't be fair to go after him now" on the police officer. I wonder whether the driver (too ill to be interviewed for eight months!!?) had more of that undiagnosed dementia that seems to be going around...?

chrisonabike replied to brooksby | 1 year ago
3 likes

brooksby wrote:

...And now, an element of "oh, well, he's about to retire and it wouldn't be fair to go after him now" on the police officer...

This is such a standard trope ("unfortunately the officer has since resigned / retired...") it wouldn't surprise me to find it in a police procedural manual somewhere... except they're not that stupid, surely.

ktache | 1 year ago
5 likes

For me the takeaway line was that at the very delayed interview with the driver (suspect?) was attended by the husband of a granddaughter who just happened to be a police officer.

TheBillder replied to ktache | 1 year ago
4 likes
ktache wrote:

For me the takeaway line was that at the very delayed interview with the driver (suspect?) was attended by the husband of a granddaughter who just happened to be a police officer.

Reminds me of the Month Python line "I noticed that the man holding the thermonuclear device was in fact the Chief Constable of the area". Bedfordshire mentioned in that sketch (Pirhana Brothers) as well. Life imitating art...

iandusud | 1 year ago
3 likes

A truely shocking story that clearly shows that the police seek to protect car drivers from the results of their poor driving on vulnerable road users. The standout sentence in the article was: 

No officer has been disciplined as a result of Bedfordshire Police's handling of the case.

the little onion | 1 year ago
4 likes

Tragic story. I think it is the same institutional anti-cyclist and anti-motorcyclist attitude. If someone on two wheels dies or is injured, too often the police either shrug and say it is "one of those things" (to quote a police officer speaking to me as I lay bleeding on the ground after being driven into by a distracted driver who failed to look before entering a junction), or they ask "why is this the victim's fault?". 

Latest Comments