Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

All-terrain sub-£1k tubeless wheelset

Max budget £1,000.

Tubeless disc wheelset suitable for road and gravel duties.

Up to now Zipp 303s leading the charge, though 1500g isn't as light as some. I live in the Peaks so hills come as standard.

Thoughts..?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

5 comments

peted76 | 3 years ago
0 likes

Scribe Wide+ 50's, £870 are sub 1500grams and are on my current 'want' list.

andystow | 3 years ago
1 like

Hunt has a lot of choices in your price range.

https://www.huntbikewheels.com/

Inder | 3 years ago
0 likes

Can you get a 303 disc wheelset for <£1K?? I think they are typically sold as separates for ~£800 a wheel.

You can get Reynolds ARX series for a little over your budget, they are nice and wide and tubeless too. You can probably spec a set of handbuilts for under £1K (I assume you want carbon and deep section).

Secret_squirrel replied to Inder | 3 years ago
0 likes

303 "S" model is about 4-500 a pop thus in budget.  303 Firecrests are getting on for double that.

I guess the main risk you are taking is using an aero road set for gravel and running into long term stress/durability issues.  Hunt are rumoured to be bringing out an aero gravel wheel but its not out yet.

tbh - given that it'll be simpler/easier to have 2 sets of wheels and tyres for road versus gravel I'd be tempted to go one or the other and save up for a cheaper seperate set - probably for gravel.   Do you really want the sick feeling of rocks smacking bits off of your lovely road aero wheels?   Plus if you lose a wheel to a gravel incident how much is that gonna crimp your road riding?

Inder replied to Secret_squirrel | 3 years ago
0 likes

I guess it depends how "gravelly" the gravel is!

Latest Comments