Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Aldi Rear View Camera

I see there's one available now for about £35. Anybody used one?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

11 comments

RobinC | 1 year ago
2 likes

The previous iteration of this camera had a simpler, better mounting like the first generation fly6 - a slot in the rear of the camera which a velcro strap passes through.

The mounting clip screwed onto the rear of the camera is hollow rather than a solid piece of plastic so the stresses are concentrated in a small area of plastic around the screw. Unscrewing the clip and filling the space with epoxy and reattaching before the glue sets might help.

CyclingGardener replied to RobinC | 1 year ago
2 likes

Having contacted the makers, have now received a replacement part. I was curious as to what this would be, and found it was the mounting clip, and I could see, as you say, that the problem is the screw. They haven't twigged this - the clip I got has a slightly stronger design and longer screw but nothing to improve the screwhole. Anyway, as I immediately wrecked the feeble plastic thread with the new screw it will be the glue solution, which was always going to be a fall-back. If glueing the clip bit fails, it will be possible - and maybe stronger - to attach the bracket directly, re-creating the original set-up described.

Tom_77 replied to RobinC | 1 year ago
0 likes

I've used Fixits (https://www.fixits.com/) for similar bodges in the past.

wtjs | 1 year ago
0 likes

Thanks to all

CyclingGardener | 1 year ago
1 like

I got one for £40 in April and am using for daily commutes. On the plus side, much better battery life than front, and a useful light if needed. The audio is much better than my front camera so will pick up verbal exchanges with drivers - might be useful. As a camera it's pretty rubbish - no controls, only runs at about 2 or 3 fps - but shows enough to demonstrate what is going on and does get number plates. The built-in card makes it v good value but presumably can't be replaced.
The biggest issue is the rather flimsy bracket arrangement given its weight. I wasn't entirely surprised when it broke - the little plate that slides onto the bracket sheared off earlier this week. It looks like there was just a narrow plastic peg and blob of glue!
As it comes with a 3 year guarantee, I'm going to try that route - free postage apparently but they ask you to phone/email first to discuss. If they won't play ball, some kind of bodge is probably possible.
If I can get a reasonable length of use out if it, I'll be happy with it as a useful purchase. But the bracket thing could be an issue unless I just got a duff one.

Sriracha replied to CyclingGardener | 1 year ago
1 like

All the reviews say the same thing, and those with pictures confirm, the bracket is as you say.

wtjs | 1 year ago
0 likes

What I was hoping someone would tell me is stuff about vibration tolerance, ability to resolve number plates etc.

Kapelmuur replied to wtjs | 1 year ago
0 likes

wtjs wrote:

What I was hoping someone would tell me is stuff about vibration tolerance, ability to resolve number plates etc.

No problem with vibration or number plate clarity with mine, although I only cycle in daylight.   But it is likely to be an earlier model than the one they're currently offering.

NOtotheEU replied to wtjs | 1 year ago
0 likes

I've never used this camera but I've tried various different cameras on the back and never had a problem with vibration. I've always mounted them at the base of the seatpost and even with a cheap camera and flimsy bracket they've all been good. The front is a different matter and wherever I mount them they vibrate too much so my next camera will have to have stabalisation.

Hirsute | 1 year ago
2 likes

I can see one for 39.99 and it has crap reviews.

Kapelmuur | 1 year ago
1 like

I have the previous iteration, it's about 6 years old and has outlived 2 Fly 12s.

Latest Comments