Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Ajax error when posting

Since the weekend, whenever I make a comment in News and then hit 'save' I get an error pop up:

An AJAX HTTP request terminated abnormally.

Debugging information follows:
Path: /system/ajax
StatusText: n/a
ResponseText:
ReadyState: ,

and the comment doesn't appear for me until I refresh the page.

I'm using the Edge Browser on Windows 10.

Anyone else getting this?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

36 comments

brooksby | 3 years ago
0 likes

Well, I've stopped getting that Ajax error now.  I don't know if something updated on my PC or if something got updated at the road.cc end, but its sorted itself out.

fukawitribe replied to brooksby | 3 years ago
0 likes

Just trying to reply to you now.... got the same Ajax error but actually posted the first time (with refresh).

Hirsute | 3 years ago
0 likes

Secret_squirrel replied to Gus T | 175 posts | 2 hours ago
3 likes  

Dispatch War Rocket Ajax to bring back his body.

HarryTrauts | 3 years ago
1 like

You are genuinely the first person I have ever heard of to use Edge.  

brooksby replied to HarryTrauts | 3 years ago
0 likes

harragan wrote:

You are genuinely the first person I have ever heard of to use Edge.  

It came with the computer...

ktache replied to brooksby | 3 years ago
1 like

It came with my new work laptop, I am forced to use it for some things, PDFs seem to open up in it.

Spangly Shiny replied to ktache | 3 years ago
0 likes

You can download and install Adobe Acrobat Reader as your default PDF app.

mdavidford replied to Spangly Shiny | 3 years ago
1 like

Only if you have permissions to install apps and change file associations, which a lot of people don't on work computers.

srchar replied to mdavidford | 3 years ago
2 likes

mdavidford wrote:

Only if you have permissions to install apps and change file associations, which a lot of people don't on work computers.

Boss! Boss! He spends all his time posting on road.cc!

mdavidford replied to srchar | 3 years ago
0 likes
srchar wrote:

mdavidford wrote:

Boss! Boss! He spends all his time posting on road.cc!

Well, it's not blocked by the firewall...
;o)

Simon E replied to mdavidford | 3 years ago
0 likes

mdavidford wrote:

With very good reason!

Users downloading software and docs and unthinkingly clicking links are the biggest security risk any company (or home) computer is exposed to. I don't let my family members or colleagues use a computer profile with admin rights without a valid reason.

I'd recommend Foxit reader before Adobe for viewing PDFs on a PC (and Preview if you're on a Mac). Changing file associations for things like PDF didn't used to require elevated privileges but I haven't checked on Win10.

hawkinspeter replied to Simon E | 3 years ago
0 likes

Simon E wrote:

mdavidford wrote:

With very good reason!

Users downloading software and docs and unthinkingly clicking links are the biggest security risk any company (or home) computer is exposed to. I don't let my family members or colleagues use a computer profile with admin rights without a valid reason.

I'd recommend Foxit reader before Adobe for viewing PDFs on a PC (and Preview if you're on a Mac). Changing file associations for things like PDF didn't used to require elevated privileges but I haven't checked on Win10.

Foxit is okay, but Chrome is more likely to be already installed and keeps itself updated as well. (Adobe is possibly the worst company for security - avoid at all costs).

Simon E replied to hawkinspeter | 3 years ago
0 likes

hawkinspeter wrote:

Foxit is okay, but Chrome is more likely to be already installed and keeps itself updated as well. (Adobe is possibly the worst company for security - avoid at all costs).

Agree on Adobe security but browsers such as Chrome are not a good way to view or print PDF documents.

Auto updating means you lose control, I prefer to be prompted and choose when to apply an update. Am a long time Firefox user, not a fan of Chrome.

hawkinspeter replied to Simon E | 3 years ago
0 likes

Personally, I use Firefox on Linux most of the time and am not a big fan of Chrome (I do use chromium browser sometimes when all my plugins stop websites from working properly). I like auto-updates as I think it reduces the risk of having known security issues unpatched and it's rare for Google to stuff up Chrome.

Spangly Shiny replied to mdavidford | 3 years ago
0 likes

Good point, it never occurred to me since I don't use a work computer. Correction accepted.

fukawitribe replied to HarryTrauts | 3 years ago
0 likes

Bar Firefox (gecko), it's pretty much all Chromium under the hood now anyway.

Hirsute | 3 years ago
0 likes

This is working or has been rolled back.

fukawitribe replied to Hirsute | 3 years ago
0 likes

For small-ish values of "working"

brooksby replied to Hirsute | 3 years ago
0 likes

Let me see...

(edit: Nope - I still get the same.  Ajax error popup which I have to clear, then hit Ctrl-F5 to refresh the page to make the post, er, post).

Hirsute replied to brooksby | 3 years ago
0 likes

What device browser combo is this - still W10 edge ?

I had all the issues on an android phone on chrome (see earlier post) but it is ok today.

Not had a problem on W10 firefox (but with some add on blockers)

brooksby replied to Hirsute | 3 years ago
0 likes

Yes.

Hirsute replied to brooksby | 3 years ago
0 likes

Being unusually hopeful, it could be they are fixing it and are starting with the main traffic which is phone based, then moving on to pcs.

Awavey replied to Hirsute | 3 years ago
0 likes

Nope only get the issue on my phone,and it only started after people said they were fixing it

Hirsute | 3 years ago
0 likes

I have found I can't edit on my phone

A reply seems to work if you refresh

A new post seems to take 3 attempts.

Why don't they just roll back ?

Hirsute | 3 years ago
1 like

I get it in my phone on android/chrome.
Takes a few attempts plus refresh to see it has worked.

TheBillder | 3 years ago
0 likes

Happens to me sporadically on win10 / Chrome which I have locked down for security in ways I am too ignorant to tune properly. So can't see customer reviews on some sites, as well as this Ajax error. Hence I have a vanilla installation of Firefox with no tin foil hat add ins which always seems to work.

Spangly Shiny | 3 years ago
1 like

Also started getting it today for the first time using Win10 and Chrome. Have to clear the alert and hit F5 to see my post.

Welsh boy | 3 years ago
2 likes

It's still happening.  I must say that this site has taken a turn for the worst since it was "upgraded" a few months ago.

fukawitribe replied to Welsh boy | 3 years ago
1 like

I actually thought that the comments software couldn't get any worse again.. yeah, so wrong about that too....
Honestly can't work out how road.cc manage to repeatedly buy in such mis-featured resource and guess perhaps they don't really use it much. I genuinely do not interact with any other site with such poor comment support - how on Earth is it possible to generate so much entropy in the threading of them for a start ? Not here that much any more but it's irritating.

Cargobike | 3 years ago
0 likes

It's sporadically not letting me post at all now.

Pages

Latest Comments