Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Aero bars?? Which ones??

Looking at changing my handlebars to a more aero style.

I’ve been looking at the Prime Doyenne Aero Handlebar from wiggle.

Has anyone got these or have any opinions on these?

I’m thinking alu over carbon as my bike is ally and carbon forked plus the price is a lot more for the carbon.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

4 comments

hawkinspeter | 3 years ago
0 likes

I've got the carbon Prime Primevera bars and they're great. I doubt that the aero style gives me any noticeable benefit, but they are comfy and look fast. I wouldn't bother getting metal aero bars unless you're a real speed demon on a tight budget.

Bigmarlow | 3 years ago
0 likes

I'm thinking more for comfort and aero to be honest. Maybe trying to stop some road buzz. 

ive seen that ally is stronger and less likely to bend under sprinting and also if the bike is dropped and as I said the price too. 

jn46 replied to Bigmarlow | 3 years ago
1 like

Carbon is generally stiffer than alloy for the same weight. Carbon can dissipate vibrations better though. To make an aero alloy handlebar the tube walls will be thicker to make it strong enough, hence the 100g extra weight over an alloy round bar. That extra alloy will make it less comfortable for road buzz because it will be stiffer, so depends what you're looking for and type of riding you do. Any aero benefit will be unnoticeable in general riding. The flat tops can be more comfortable for climbing, especially for bigger hands.

jn46 | 3 years ago
0 likes

Hi, if you're going just for looks then these bars are probably good for the price. Be prepared they'll be heavy and probably quite stiff, and might transmit more road vibrations to your hands. If you're looking for free speed then as an aero saving bars are about 4-5 watts less effort at 30mph. That's about the same as having a freshly lubed clean chain and cassette. From experience aero handlebars, even carbon ones, are sub optimal compared to a well shaped round alloy or carbon bar. Lots of marketing BS. As a marginal gain they can add up as part of a full package with skinsuit, aero helmet, deep section wheels etc, but probably last on the list. If you want new bars then you can get a decent carbon non aero set for the same price. If free speed then save your hard earned pounds and put towards something else that'll make more of a difference if you haven't already done so?

Latest Comments