Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Advice budget road alloy wheelset

Hi All from Italy,

i want to ask you some advices because i'm looking to buy a road alloy wheelset for my gravel bike (max 300-350€). I ride most of the time on asphalt (90%) with a little of light gravel routes (10%) and in particular i like to climb. I need a 4 season wheelset.

My bike have QR and disc brake. I'm considering the following models:

Mavic Ksyrium 30 Disc -> around 300€. Seems good but a little heavy 1890g (real). ASTM 2 so no problem also doing a little gravel. Good review 8/10 on the site.

Dt Swiss P 1800 Spline 23 (the new model with the rachet LN18 hub and 20 mm internal rim width) -> around 320€ with QR Adapters. Lighter als Mavic 1730g (real). ASTM 1 so probably must ride in gravel mode with a little more cautions

Scribe 365-D -> around 360€. Very light 1590g for the price. ASTM 1/2. I'm not so sure about the 3 pawl hub (the only model in scribe to have it). Also i am a little worried about warranty being in Italy.

I know that there are also more manufacters in UK that built very good wheels, but they are not my first choice because of long distance in case of problems.

Can you give sono advices?

Thanks

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

6 comments

S.E. | 1 month ago
1 like

From what I can read and my short experience with C 1800, you can't go wrong with DT-Swiss, but you might find marginally better offers for the same price. Mine are 22 mm, heavier than announced (I guess they don't count the weight of the tubeless tape in their catalog) and almost 400 € for Shimano...

Dnnnnnn | 1 month ago
1 like

Do you have any good local wheelbuilders? Your budget might be enough for a good pair of custom-build wheels which you could tailor to your requirements in dialogue with the builder. No need to worry about international shipping and warranties or unobtainable spare parts.

Bantu86 replied to Dnnnnnn | 1 month ago
0 likes

Dnnnnnn wrote:

Do you have any good local wheelbuilders? Your budget might be enough for a good pair of custom-build wheels which you could tailor to your requirements in dialogue with the builder. No need to worry about international shipping and warranties or unobtainable spare parts.

Not that i know. I live in the alpine region so there aren't so many options.

Thanks

MichaelWinnerRIP | 1 month ago
1 like

Hi Bantu86,

I have bought heavy duty road wheels from Scribe and I think they are brilliant. Two years on, they are as good as ever. Customer service at Scribe is excellent. Why not email them? Address on web site.

Bantu86 replied to MichaelWinnerRIP | 1 month ago
0 likes

Thanks Michael,

i have already spoken with Scribe (they are really kind). My doubt is that they are really far away from Italy and the 365-D is the only model with the 3 pawls hub.

Bantu86 replied to MichaelWinnerRIP | 1 month ago
0 likes

The Scribe 365-D are now back to 325€. Any opinion with the 3 pawls hub? Is the quality lesser than a rachet hub?

Latest Comments