Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Bike Fitting in Scotland

Hi Folks,

Anyone got a recommendation for a good bike fitter in Scotland? Preferably in Glasgow, but I'd be willing to travel for some real experience.

Thanks,

Jim

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

12 comments

duggy shaw | 5 years ago
0 likes

Glasgow Bike Fitting

Hi

Im Dougie Shaw and I own the Bike Fitting Company, I offer bike fitting in the Glasgow area as well as the Edinburgh area From both of my brands Edinburgh Bike Fitting and Glasgow Bike Fitting

If you have found this post and your searching for a bike fit in the glasgow area then please visit either of my sites to find out a bit more about me

https://www.glasgowbikefitting.com/

or

https://www.edinburghbikefitting.com/

Im aware there are a number of other offerings.

Tom fae Paisley | 7 years ago
0 likes

Well worth adding Drew Wilson and VisualBikeFit to the list. Drew offers a bike fit studio session in Lennoxtown for local and visiting cyclists; and also offers a mobile bike fit service throughout Scotland for those further afield.

Ex pro cyclist with a good repuation around the cycling clubs in Scotland.

duggy shaw | 8 years ago
0 likes

Only a couple of places in scotland offer a comprehensive bike fitting service with a professional who does it full time, may be more expensive but you will only pay the money once. Best advice is to avoid the likes of Alpine Bikes as in general their fits are very much sales based, recommending the bars and stems they happen to have in stock and often your getting a guy that has maybe been on a 2 day course that they may or may not have been paying attention on...

below is a list of places you can go to in scotland with a dedicated studio and fitters with expertise, in my opinion, this isnt an exhaustive list of the service providers available but may give you an idea of what you can expect and how much you are looking at paying.

Edinburgh

Edinburgh Bike fitting

Glasgow area, as mentioned above

Garry Kirk Bike Fitting

Fife

Hardie Bikes

Stirling

Velocity 44

Rock and Road

Castelligirl | 8 years ago
0 likes

I was fitted last year by Garry Kirk Bike Fitting in Glasgow http://www.garrykirkbikefitting.com
It is a thorough and lengthy bike fit which started at around 10am and finished around 4. Its a visual bike fit and his methodology and techniques are all explained in depth. He is seriously passionate about what he does and his knowledge on the subject was pretty impressive to say the least. His focus is primarily spent on foot correction using arch support and other things like shims and wedging. He had his work cut out with me. I'm one of those guilty of buying a bike that is too big, because it was the one I wanted!! big mistake. My right knee also wasn't tracking properly and it turns out I have a leg length difference (who would have known!) also i have a dodgy right hip. The fit does take a very long time however I can appreciate why seeing as there is so much to it. Not quite sure how someone can offer a bike fit that lasts 2 hours. I'm sure that time alone was spent on getting the feet set up perfectly. I'm so much more comfortable on the bike now and know a few folk who i've recommended on to him and their racing results and PRs speak for themselves.
I am recovering from an injury and will have been off the bike for a long time so will be returning to him once i'm ready to get back into it and get him to set up my new shoes and new bike so i'm ready to get out there and enjoy it  1

Strathlubnaig | 10 years ago
0 likes

Not used them , yet, but in looking at the set up at Hardie Bikes in Cairneyhill, Fife, looks like a fairly intensive and full on fitting.

mustard | 10 years ago
0 likes

I'd also recommend Craig Hardie or, if you'd prefer somewhere closer to home, the Trek Concept store at Tiso Glasgow Outdoor Experience.

I've been fitted by Craig and know quite a few people who have also been fitted by him or at Alpine Bikes in Edinburgh. They both use the Trek Fit system which, like any good bike fit should, take into account your own range of movement and any potential imbalances or injuries you may have. Don't be put off by it being Trek branded either, you won't get a hard sell, only recommendations for what changes to make to improve your fit. Everyone i know who has had one has been impressed, even people who didn't feel there was anything wrong with their position on the bike.

From what i've been told, I don't have any direct experience of the Retul system, Retul and Trek are quite similar, especially with the motion capture technology that has been added recently. I'm sure you wouldn't be disappointed with either.

Just to end this essay, have a look at Cancellara on his solo run to win Flanders; the people that do the Trek fit training in the UK did the Radioshak team bike fits at an early season training camp - if seeing how good and comfortable he looks on the bike isn't a good advert for bike fitting I don't know what is.

tl:dr
get a Trek or Retul fit, you won't regret it  1

Andybris | 10 years ago
0 likes

Craig Hardie at Hardie Bikes is the man to speak to.

mhtt | 10 years ago
0 likes

Both alpine bikes in Glasgow do fitting as well, but i think the one that became a Trek concept in townhead has motion capture etc. available if you're so inclined.

giff77 | 10 years ago
0 likes

Only place I know of is Dales. Possibly Alpine bikes at bottom of Great Western. The bike show is on this weekend at the Sir Chris Hoy Velodrome. You may be able to find a contact there.

netclectic | 10 years ago
0 likes

AthElite aren't listed on the Retul site anymore, there is one in Stirling though - https://www.retul.com/find-a-fitter/#/United%20Kingdom

I had a Retul fit at Bikescience in Bristol and it definitely wansn't just a 'fitting by numbers', it was a 2+ hour session tailored specifically to my needs. I have a sizable leg length difference from an old motorbike injury and the fitting made a huge difference for me.

I would suggest you give them a call and tell them about the specifics of your injury.

It worked for me.
Good luck!

netclectic | 10 years ago
0 likes

I haven't used them but I know Dales has a fitting room and also AthElite in Hamilton offers a full Retul fit.

Cyclosis replied to netclectic | 10 years ago
0 likes

Dales seems to have a long waiting list — but I'm not sure about the quality. Anyone have direct experience?

Having had an injury, I'm keen to work with someone with some solid bio-mechanics knowledge.

Is that place in Hamilton still open? The Retul thing looks interesting, but is it a 'fitting by numbers' approach without the need for experience/knowledge?

Jim

Latest Comments