Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

What's the longest A-road in the UK?

i was wondering this the other day, anyone got a definitive answer? it has to be a continuous road, called the same thing all the way. the A39 surely has to be a contender, i *think* it's continuous from the A30 junction down near Falmouth to just outside Bristol...

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

15 comments

zaynan | 15 years ago
0 likes

How about the ancient A5 that runs from North Wales and peters out somewhere just on the outskirts of Londinium?

Tony Farrelly replied to zaynan | 15 years ago
0 likes

Holyhead to London is 288 miles taking the new more direct route, and the A5 goes all over the place in Wales, but it isn't continuous anymore cos it becomes the M51 for a while near the Welsh border

purplecup | 15 years ago
0 likes

how's about when you find yr answer you set out on a challenge to ride it in the continuous fashion it deserves: no stopping! 247 miles in one go: that's some decent points in the metric century...

Tony Farrelly replied to purplecup | 15 years ago
0 likes

to Nice… It's warmer

tayzar replied to Tony Farrelly | 15 years ago
0 likes

So how many cafe stops would that cover? a fair few me thinks..
Would be great to do it non stop tho with a massive cake at the end!

Tony Farrelly replied to tayzar | 15 years ago
0 likes

I'm thinking they might be nicer on the Nice run too… there'd certainly be more of them. 

Sanyi replied to Tony Farrelly | 15 years ago
0 likes

The A38 is the longest A road at 292 miles

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A38_road

Tony Farrelly replied to Sanyi | 15 years ago
0 likes

"At 292 miles (470 km) long it is the longest 'A' road entirely within England, and in the United Kingdom as a whole second only to the A1." Says Wikipedia.

So it's not even the longest, but it becomes the M5 for part of the way - so you couldn't actually ride all of those 292 miles anyway. The same goes for the A1.

You could ride the full 274 miles of the A74.

jay cee | 15 years ago
0 likes

The A34 is quite long I think

dave atkinson replied to jay cee | 15 years ago
0 likes

There's an awful lot of the midlands to get through. even then I think it'll struggle do better the wild expanses of Scotland...

Tony Farrelly | 15 years ago
0 likes

There must be a few A roads up in Scotland that must be pretty long. The A9 for instance

cactuscat replied to Tony Farrelly | 15 years ago
0 likes

that's what google maps reckons, anyhow. and google is all-knowing.

Tony Farrelly replied to cactuscat | 15 years ago
0 likes

A9 - Bridge of Allan to Thurso 247 miles google say. That distance would get you from Bath to somewhere nice in France

dave atkinson replied to Tony Farrelly | 15 years ago
0 likes

tony_farrelly wrote:

A9 - Bridge of Allan to Thurso 247 miles google say. That distance would get you from Bath to somewhere nice in France

...but not somewhere Nice

Tony Farrelly replied to dave atkinson | 15 years ago
0 likes

990 miles.  

Latest Comments