Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Avon Road Club 1928 - 1930

Can anybody help with information on Avon Road Club for the period 1928 - 1930 please?
I have some of my grandfather's medals from this period and would like to find out more.
Thanks.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

9 comments

Twiddler | 4 years ago
0 likes

Hi Martin, I read your interesting letter some time back and have been checking now and then to see if anyone responded, but obviously not.

Yes the people you are seeking would need to be older than me because at 84 I doubt any names from the 30s will ring a bell, but hey I'll give it a go, even if its only to say hello.

So fire away Martin, hope to hear from you soon.

Cheers.

Maurice.

Martin Chapman | 6 years ago
0 likes

I have a photograph of members including my father in the mid 1930s, happy to share this by email including all the known names, if it is of interest.

Twiddler | 8 years ago
0 likes

Hi, I have had a look in the Avon Road Club booklet which was issued every year with the results of their events but the older, possibly honorary members are not listed.
However I do know that in its last years the club was run by Ray and Sylvia Jenkins together with D Tiley, K Bennett, J Thatcher, L Killbe, H Robbins and K Knight, and although all of these members were older than me I don't think they go back far enough to add any more info to the first letter writers request.
Sorry but that's the best I can do.
Here are some other local clubs of that era; Bristol Pegasus CC, Bristol Riviera CC, Bristol CC, Bristol Olympic CC, Bath Olympic CC, Western RC.
Cheers.

Twiddler | 8 years ago
0 likes

Hi, I cant go back to 1928 because I am only 80 now but I rode with the Avon Road Club in the early 50s until they folded and at that time the club presentation was held at the Grand Hotel.
At the top table were some quite old white haired committee members who had long given up cocking their leg over and I hope to be able to find some names shortly which may jog someones memory.
Cheers.

Super Domestique | 11 years ago
0 likes

As in Avon as the area or 'Avon Road'
I would imagine the former but you never know! If it is the former then have you contacted local clubs with long history? They might have something that overlaps.

Just an idea if you are struggling to find it.

Also, as mentioned above, do the medals have any event reference on them?

therevokid | 11 years ago
0 likes

Bristol South have been going for an age ... try them  1
http://www.bristolsouthcc.co.uk/

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

AH ok, Avon Road Club is a harder find, but your best bet might to be get in touch with some of the local clubs around that area now and see what they can tell you. I'll keep looking though  3

sparkywig | 11 years ago
0 likes

Done all that thanks, just need info on Avon Road Club for this period.

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

I know NOTHING, but can find things, I'm like a mole on google.

What was your grandfathers name? Do the medals say anything else on them?

Latest Comments