Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

'bar width sizes

I feel a little cramped by my handlebar width but looking at 'bars on the internet i'm unsure of my bar width.
Measuring at the widest part my bars measure 42 but i'm not sure how bars are measured that are sold on the internet.To the outer edges or centre of the tube ?
Will going to a 44 feel that much different or up to the few 46's that are available ?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

7 comments

Nick T | 11 years ago
0 likes

joeegg | 11 years ago
0 likes

My boney bump to boney bump size is 44,so the original bars look a bit narrow.The bars are FSA,not sure which model,with the normal curve.I've been looking at the shaped ergo bars,namely the Easton ones.

Simon E | 11 years ago
0 likes

To measure your current bar either go from outside edge on one side to inside edge on the other (this is same as c-to-c) or both outside edges for overall width.

If you like the ergonomics then get hold of a wider version of the same model. Or go to a shop and say "Can you get me a wider one of these?" Shouldn't be too difficult.

Municipal Waste | 11 years ago
0 likes

40's eh?  39 What bars are they?

dave atkinson | 11 years ago
0 likes

42 outside edge to outside edge will be a 40cm in *most* bars, which is relatively narrow. Like Jo says, some manufacturers measure the way you have so check when you're buying. Many bike fitters will advise you that the width between the bony bumps on the tops of your shoulders (the name of which i forget) is the centre-to-centre bar width you should choose, although for me that's 42cm and I prefer a 44.

VecchioJo | 11 years ago
0 likes

some manufacturers measure their bars centre-to-centre, some outside edge to outside edge, which is pointlessly confusing, but it will usually say

probably best just to go the next width up if you feel cramped rather than go as big as possible

dodgy | 11 years ago
0 likes

They are measured from centre of tube to centre of tube.

Latest Comments