Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Devon Cycling Routes - Advice Needed

afternoon folks! I'm heading down to Bideford for a few days at the start of September and I'd like to get a few miles in whilst I'm there. Can anyone recommend any good routes and climbs, or places to avoid?

Many thanks!

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

13 comments

oaurvey | 10 years ago
0 likes

I have experienced biking in Devon and it's quite awesome. I suggest you take a look at this blog http://thecyclingdutchman.blogspot.com/2013/06/london-lands-end-cycle-ro.... It lists awesome routes to take. There are also cottages along the area in case you want to stay over and take a night's rest. I have stayed in one of Blue Chip Holidays' cottages, you may check their cottages here: http://www.bluechipholidays.co.uk/devon-holiday-cottage

SideBurn | 11 years ago
0 likes

Are you looking for the scenic option (hills) or the not so scenic (flat(ish))option?

The Good Shepherd | 11 years ago
0 likes

Cheers folks - much appreciated!

Jaltham | 11 years ago
0 likes

Down 'ere we get quite competitive with our Strava segments, you might even be able to plan a whole roue without ever leaving "segmented" territory! If you need anything there is a great roadie shop in Bideford, along the road next to the Post Office, worth a drop in! Make sure youo bring climbing legs, you can't get anywhere without going uphill!

CycCoSi | 11 years ago
0 likes

Bideford to Bude via Bradworthy to Launceston to Holsworthy to Bideford will give you a cracking days riding with some serious climbing.

It's tough country down there, the only bits of flat land they keep in museums  1

localsurfer | 11 years ago
0 likes

It's not THAT hilly, (or maybe I'm just used to it), but a fun fast ride from Barny is along the A377 to Exeter if you're not into slopes.

Or from Bideford, head up the river to Torrington, then on to Hatherleigh, then back up to Holsworthy, (or carry on to Bude if you're feeling hardcore) and then back to Bideford - that's a good one.

0 likes

Good job I'm not from Surrey, then.

russyparkin replied to The Good Shepherd | 11 years ago
0 likes
The Good Shepherd wrote:

Good job I'm not from Surrey, then.

ha ha phew! you should be fine then  1

russyparkin | 11 years ago
0 likes

bring big legs and lungs. it is a well known fact that Devon hills make boys from Surrey cry.

0 likes

Brilliant, cheers guys!

SideBurn | 11 years ago
0 likes

Avoid the link road (A361), A39, A377 and A386 particularly during weekdays they are just racetracks. The Tarka Trail is great, mostly tarmac (Bumpy tarmac) but is very busy with bike riders and dog owners at certain times of the day. I would agree with pj above; have a look at the route(s) for the North Devon Black Rat first (take Tarka trail to Braunton where it starts)this is the Croyde, Ilfracombe, Combe Martin pj describes. Also the Exmoor Beast route(s) (Minehead start) but bring your climbing legs and small gears! But the scenery makes it worthwhile. There are some great bike shops round here BikeIt (Barnstaple) Southfork (Braunton) Enjoy....

0 likes

Thanks pj - that sounds just the ticket!

pj | 11 years ago
0 likes

north of Barnstaple, out towards Lynton and Lynmouth is amazing. the climb up countisbury is as beautiful a road as you'll find. it's possible to take the tarka trail to braunton then ride the coast road along through croyde, ilfracombe, coombe martin. or go straight through barnstaple and up to loxhore, then onto exmoor.

be aware that North Devon is ferociously, seriously, relentlessly hilly. if you want flat, stick to the tarka trail.

going out towards torrington will involve some big hills. essentially, it's a bermuda triangle of country lanes. plot a route at random, going out to torrington, across to shebbear and bradworthy, maybe hartland, then loop back along the coast. it's amazing.

Latest Comments