Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Shimano Di2 Electronic Shifting

I saw this at Cycle yesterday on the Shimano stand, and had a go on the bike they had set up with it in a turbo trainer. The shifting is awesome, very fast and quiet - except for this electronic servo sound. The way the front mech trims itself as you go up and down the block at the back is also very nice.

I can't imagine wanting it on my bike though, there are lots of wires and batteries and control gubbins that just look way too ugly to hang off my Litespeed.

Also, Im not sure quite what they have solved with this, it weighs more, is more complex and prone to problems, and still just changes gear like the mechanical one did.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

6 comments

dave atkinson | 15 years ago
0 likes

We were handing them out... anyhows, it is difficult to know (outside the pro peloton) who's going to stump up the extra for Di2. If you're a time triallist and you're loaded, then rejoice: you can have shifters anywhere you want on your bars, and as many as you like. Other than that the benefits aren't as tangible. And you're right, it's not the prettiest. Especially that little control unit thing.

DaSy replied to dave atkinson | 15 years ago
0 likes

I remember the Continental stand really clearly, not at all sure what they were selling.....tyres or something, but the staff were very, errr.. helpful!

dave atkinson replied to DaSy | 15 years ago
0 likes

we've got parmesan, bruschetta and red wine courtesy of the laydeez from Belvedere Bike Hotel in Riccione... there's Ferrero Rocher too. Monsieur.

the-daily-ripper replied to dave atkinson | 15 years ago
0 likes

...please Dave - I'll be pitching up at around 11 and getting what I can.

Sounds like the continental stand is worth a visit...!

DaSy replied to the-daily-ripper | 15 years ago
0 likes

in my mind....ooohh there I go again. I'm sure it was tyres on their stand, I've been going over and over it...tyres, yeah.

jay cee replied to DaSy | 15 years ago
0 likes

this will remind you then

Latest Comments