Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Giro Stage 16

So folks, any tips for tomorrows stage? I suspect a victory from a "puncheur" with a strong sprint, from a group of non-GC guys - a tough prospect for team picking perhaps?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

46 comments

Stumps | 11 years ago
0 likes

Joint 7th on the stage with 102 points - thanks to De Marchi  4

Rising in all leagues but still miles off the top.

drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes

I guess you're right, it does reflect the real deal, if someone has a bad day then they drop away, if someone has a great day they could move up a bit but for the most part we're all watching each other and waiting for something to happen. In the real thing I'd be a Gadret or Rujano, 3 or 4 minutes down needing a couple of blinding days to make the top 10. You're a Rodriguez hoping to hell you don't mess up and watching those just below you like a hawk

Putting it like that has actually got me excited again, I was beginning to write it off but like Gadret I'm just going to have to go for it. It's time to "go big or go home".

Debarrio | 11 years ago
0 likes

I felt bad for Gkam. Poor, poor Gkam.

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Don't worry about me, I'll pull a stage win sometime before the season ends.

But it seems my luck has returned from last year. I think it was mainly the TdF I would transfer a guy out the night before a stage and sure as hell he'd score more points than any of the rest of my team. I happened on back to back stages for nearly a week  20

drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes

75 today, up 2 in the premium giro but no ground gained, mainly because I have EXACTLY the same team as the guy in first  20 My options seem to be to take stupid risks or hope that the 16 teams ahead of me suddenly become really stupid.

The GC points are a blessing and a curse, I need them to get decent points but everyone else gets the same points!

robacairns replied to drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes
drheaton wrote:

75 today, up 2 in the premium giro but no ground gained, mainly because I have EXACTLY the same team as the guy in first  20 My options seem to be to take stupid risks or hope that the 16 teams ahead of me suddenly become really stupid.

The GC points are a blessing and a curse, I need them to get decent points but everyone else gets the same points!

Maybe a case of great minds think alike  3 ? Seriously though, I kind of enjoy the tension between taking the "safe" GC / jersey points and taking risks. It's kind of appropriate as it mimics in many ways the tactics in the race itself. Play it like a Basso or a Rodriguez (or a Pirazzi - seriously, what was that at the end of the stage today)?
For example, tomorrow is making me very nervous - so many mountain points on offer. Surely someone in the top ten is going to pick a valuable breakaway rider, but how can I hedge myself against the diversity of good options out there? Also, with the race the way it is, there are opportunities for making good bets with the GC riders for tomorrow as well. Not that I'm complaining about where I've found myself in the standings - just to make the point that it's still nerve-wracking trying to maintain a high spot.

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Well i had a shocker, could have been up in the 90-100 but ended up with 57

Bad day for premium guys?

Down 15 in Giro
Down 6 in premium Grio
Down 4 in overall
Up 4 in premium overall  39  39

Wig_Billy | 11 years ago
0 likes

There are prizes for winning individual stages though.

londonplayer | 11 years ago
0 likes

dr heaton,

I agree. There is a major flaw in the game that once you do badly on one or two stages, it's very unlikely that you will be able to catch the leaders again. I'm in the top 50 but I know I can't win this one.

I've had to play defensively as I don't want to slip further down the leaderboard. Perhaps the Spring Classics were more exciting because there were no GC classification points and it was a very much dog eat dog game where you loaded up with whoever you thought was going to be in the top 5.

Jerseys sound like a good idea to me. But until the rules of the game change and points scoring, I'm going to continue holding the top GC contenders in my team.

drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes

Hmm, bit of a damp squib today. Everyone must be saving themselves for tomorrow. Shame really, it's probably going to be a fairly low scoring day today unless someone's got 2 or 3 of the break.

Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes

Lol at the Pirazzi attack. Someone get him a Kit Kat  19

Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes

Lol at the Pirazzi attack.

drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes
TERatcliffe26 wrote:

Another rubbish day at the office it seems, just cant get it right. Maybe i will peak in le tour

This is why I think some fantasy jersey's would help the game, it'd be great to load up on breakaway guys in the hope of getting the KoM or breakaway jerseys, it'd give everyone something to fight for and by having to aim for specific types of stages (mountains or sprints etc) it'd stop the same people winning everything.

The people leading the whole competition are consistently top 100 or so on each stage, but not top 10 or 20 so you'd have to choose, go for the competition or the jersey.

dave atkinson replied to drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes
drheaton wrote:

This is why I think some fantasy jersey's would help the game, it'd be great to load up on breakaway guys in the hope of getting the KoM or breakaway jerseys, it'd give everyone something to fight for and by having to aim for specific types of stages (mountains or sprints etc) it'd stop the same people winning everything.

The people leading the whole competition are consistently top 100 or so on each stage, but not top 10 or 20 so you'd have to choose, go for the competition or the jersey.

this is something we're looking at, and other things along these lines. stay tuned, eh  1

PS 10th on stage today  4

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Mother***************

I'm just in the door now and the man i've stuck with the whole tour and i transferred out lastnight Izagirre is going to win. I'm raging now

Clement is another rider i dropped the other day. I have Brandle, but thats not going to help.

I would go back on the bike to get rid of my anger, but i've just done 86 miles and my legs don't like me either  14  14  14  14  14  14  14  14  14  14  14

orli replied to Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes
Gkam84 wrote:

Replace Jon Izagirre with Matthias Brandle...

Gkam84 wrote:

Mother ******... the man I've stuck with the whole tour and I transferred out last night Izagirre is going to win...

I laughed my head off... That's pretty crappy! I swear I was going to die laughing  1

Wig_Billy | 11 years ago
0 likes

You should go 'stage hunting' TER. Plan to have a really good team for the TT or something.

TERatcliffe26 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Another rubbish day at the office it seems, just cant get it right. Maybe i will peak in le tour

livestrongnick | 11 years ago
0 likes

but as per script no sky riders in there!  13

nickobec | 11 years ago
0 likes

My team

Rodriguez
Basso
Hesjedal
Intxausti
Pozzovivo
Tiralongo
Golas
Pirazzi
Slagter

brought in Slagter for today 8th in Assisi , Pirazzi for today and tomorrow and kept Golas for today, was going to transfer him out for De Marchi for tomorrow

Still happy with Slagter in break, currently virtual Pink Jersey (by over a minute) and 12 minutes with 37km to go, he will keep most of that, outside chance top ten

drheaton replied to nickobec | 11 years ago
0 likes
nickobec wrote:

Still happy with Slagter in break, currently virtual Pink Jersey (by over a minute) and 12 minutes with 37km to go, he will keep most of that, outside chance top ten

Um... Slagter's not in there, it's Stef Clement.

0 likes

ah brilliant! 3 riders i looked at all in the break  20

drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes

Looks like the break will take the stage, 10 minute lead with 60km to go. Pity, but hopefully some guaranteed points will keep me in the hunt.

0 likes

No starter today Stefano Lucatelli (Colnago)

Doaky | 11 years ago
0 likes

Argh!! Took out Boaro for Pirazzi!!!!  14

drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes

I hope it doesn't stick, banking on another Rodriguez win today.

Wig_Billy | 11 years ago
0 likes

Go Brandle.  4

Stumps | 11 years ago
0 likes

Got one of them. If it sticks i cant see past Bak for another stage win.  39

drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes

It took until 90km to go but we have a break:

Alessandro De Marchi (Androni Giocattoli-Venezuela
Mathias Frank (BMC Racing Team)
Io Izagirre (Euskaltel-Euskadi)
Lucca Mazzanti (Farnese Vini-Sella Italia)
Lars Ytting Bak (Lotto Belisol)
Nicolas Maes (Omega Pharma-QuickStep)
José Herrada Lopez (Movistar)
Stef Clement (Rabobank)
Matthias Brändle (NetApp)
Manuele Baoro (Saxo Bank)

Looks like I went with the wrong Rabo rider. Looks a strong break and should stick at least until the final climb.

Stumps | 11 years ago
0 likes

Made a few changes for today so looking for a good result and see what i get left with for the sprint stage on 18.

Sergio Luis Henao (SKY)
Joaquin Rodriguez (KAT)
Ivan Basso (LIQ)
Ryder Hesjedal (GRM)
Allessandro De Marchi (AND)
Paolo Tiralongo (AST)
Damiano Caruso (LIQ)
Dario Cataldo (OPQ)
Stefano Pirazzi (COG)

Without realising i have 6 italians in my team. Hope one of them brings me some luck.

Pages

Latest Comments