Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Tyre recommendation

I'm after a new set of tyres. I want something relatively fast rolling in a 23 which isn't just for dry conditions and won't be dead after 1000 miles. I'm looking to ride from home in Luxembourg down Europe some point in summer so quite fancy not having to source or carry new tyres along the route. Not puncturing every 10km might be a good idea too.

So yes, I'm aware I want the moon on a stick but any recommendations?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

13 comments

spongebob | 12 years ago
0 likes

had gatorskins, lasted forever, thousands of miles without punctures or too much sign of wear.

Just got Rubino Pro's, no punctures so far, seem more prone to cutting though.

atlaz | 12 years ago
0 likes

LBS had Krylion Carbon at a decent price so I had their last pair.

Adey | 12 years ago
0 likes

Bontrager Race-Lite's have been good for me
Over 1500 miles to date and no punctures (touchwood)
Good VFM

limitingfactor | 12 years ago
0 likes

Conti Gatorskins for me.

-1 for Durano unfortunately. Yes, they are light, comfortable and fast, but I had a very early sidewall failure on one after only a few hundred miles. OK it might have been a one off, but the sidewalls are very thin and i wouldnt trust them again. Pity as in all other respects they are very good and, especially, light.

The gatorskins are heavier than Durano but still grippy, fast and fairly comfortable. IMO a reasonable compromise between weight and robustness for a long run. Cornering on gatorskins is especially fun at speed as they really grip well.

fred22 | 12 years ago
0 likes

Specialized turbo elite are really good tyres that don't get the attention they deserve. Probably cheaper than contis etc too.

TheHatter | 12 years ago
0 likes

+1 for Durano's

atlaz | 12 years ago
0 likes

Are you asking or telling?  3

Simon E | 12 years ago
0 likes

Schwalbe Durano?

jonomc4 | 12 years ago
0 likes

Conti 4 seasons tyres - I have been very happy with my one - reasonable grip - reasonable weight - no puntures

SPAM Naval | 12 years ago
0 likes

Conti GP4000s. I'm a big fan of these tyres, get very few punctures on my daily commute and weekend long rides

notfastenough | 12 years ago
0 likes

Specialized All-Condition Training tyre seem very good from my couple of rides on them, and Road.cc gave them an excellent review - something about if you could only have one pair of tyres, needing to be fast, durable, puncture-resistant, then these are it, or words to that effect.

JonSP | 12 years ago
0 likes

I've been delighted with Maxxis Re-Fuse, no punctures, seems very tough, but can't detect any speed penalty.

John_the_Monkey | 12 years ago
0 likes

Krylion Carbon? Roll nicely enough at the recommended pressure, seem pretty hard wearing.

Latest Comments