Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Red Red chainset Vs. Force.

I would like to ask for some opinions.

I am building a new bike. Basically a

R838 De Rosa Frame
Sram Force Groupset
(Mavic Kysirium Equipe wheels) - was going to buy the elite for this bike but had some unexpected Vet bills so I will just have to continue using these for now.
Selle SMP Stratos Saddle
Ritchey Superlogic Seatpost.

Now I wanted to get the Chainset in Black and this has caused a problem as it is currently out of stock (I am getting the groupset for £700 aprox.

So this made me start looking - For £60 more I can get a Sram Red Chainset. But I have two questions

1)Is this a good spend - will I get my monies worth.
2) Will I be OK with the Force Front Dérailleur on a Red chainset (I always seem to have issues with the front dérailleur).

Oh and before we start down the road of Ribble stealth / De Rosa R838 - I got the frame as an ex display for £799 and I like the pretty paintwork :x

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

7 comments

jonomc4 | 12 years ago
0 likes

Sadly evans is out of stock  2 of the size I want

But I have found another place and the place I am buying the frame from is trying to match the price on the groupset so I can pick it all up at once.

Cheque arrived today - so all systems go for a weekend on building it up. I went for a basic fit on the frame at my LBS to confirm stem and crank length before I purchased them and once I have built it I will go for the full fit. I have also made the momentous decision (well for me at least) to change to Look clipless from SPD (but buying new shoes and pedals was a cost I didn't really count on).

spongebob | 12 years ago
0 likes

I got mine with Evans was half price!!! Came in 3 working days =] 11 - 26 on rear = pain  4

jonomc4 | 12 years ago
0 likes

yeah I have a 53/39 chainset right now - but I have an 11-32 at the rear. Now I am going to a 50/34 as I am going to have to have a 11-28 at the rear (I like an easy granny gear in my weaponry).

It looks like it will have to be the red chainset. Now all I have to do is sit on my hands and wait for the bits to arrive - grrrrrr I want to build it this weekend!!!!

spongebob | 12 years ago
0 likes

I just got a SRAM 52/38 chainset and I am using it with my Rival front deraileur.

Works great, super stiff, moving from a compact gearing is hard work on the climbs.

(it actually seems heavier than my 50/34 rival chainset)

jonomc4 | 12 years ago
0 likes

Well the Ritchey seat post kind of got me, I loved the idea of the seat clamp (but it could prove a cock up) anyway it was for a good price on ebay. You would be even more shocked at the handlebars and stem - I went for the Zipp Service Course SL setup.

I wanted to use a force front dérailleur as I have a new one spare - I bought a braze on in error for my commuter bike when I needed a clamp on - so it has been sitting there waiting to be used. So it is good news that I can use it on a Red Chainset without issue and in fact people here recommend it!

I know the Red Chainset is slightly lighter but I am already making the most significant weight savings as the Bike has a BB30 bottom bracket - and whilst I care about weight I am not a maniac about it. What most interests me is how rigid the chainset is - I was impressed by the step up I achieved on my commuter bike when I got a good quality chainset. Even a slight improvement in this area from Force to Red would make the extra worthwhile.

Super Domestique | 12 years ago
0 likes

I read the same as Fringe. Here:

http://road.cc/content/forum/56077-sram-red-set

Fringe | 12 years ago
0 likes

Don't know about the chain set but I'd go with the force front mech, sure I read somewhere that they are better as the plates are steel hence stronger and less prone to bending.

Ritchey seat post?, no no no, its an Italian frame get an Italian post (deda?).

Latest Comments