Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Groupon - High 5

Groupon are currently doing a deal for High 5 products. For £16.99 instead of £35.95 you can get:

• One High 5 Water Bottle 750ml
• Five High 5 Energy Gels - Citrus
• Five High 5 Energy Gels - Summer Fruits
• 20 High 5 Zero Tabs - Cherry
• 20 High 5 Zero Tabs - Citrus
• 20 High 5 Zero Tabs – XTREME

http://www.groupon.co.uk/deals/national-deal/discount-supplements/2894292

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

8 comments

road slapper | 12 years ago
0 likes
terrance | 12 years ago
0 likes

Shame it's ended, I would've probably gone for that to try them out.  2

I must admit I've never been into the whole energy bar thing. Unless I was a pro with a dedicated nutritionist testing me every other day and monitoring every calorie eaten and burnt it doesn't reallyu appeal to me.

Also they can't be great for the body. I'd rather consume energy naturally with frutis etc or honey for a quick energy rush.

Simon E | 12 years ago
0 likes

It's amazing that anyone actually survived a training ride before gels were invented.

And no-one really needs electrolytes except maybe really for long rides on really hot days. Some high-juice squash would be fine.

Gkam84 replied to Simon E | 12 years ago
0 likes
Simon E wrote:

It's amazing that anyone actually survived a training ride before gels were invented.

And no-one really needs electrolytes except maybe really for long rides on really hot days. Some high-juice squash would be fine.

This is true, but its just another little thing that has filtered down from pro cycling, wanna look like a pro, stock up on gel's  19

I know a guy who swears by having a gel every 20 miles, nothing to do with science of what his body has used, the weather, how far he has left to go, just 20 miles on the dot, time for a gel or energy bar  31

Farky replied to Simon E | 12 years ago
0 likes
Simon E wrote:

Not quite right about the electrolytes there...everyone does need them and you'd be surprised how many could do with them on a cold or average day. Allows your body to recover quicker and to convert consumed energy gels/drinks better. I ride without gels/carbs, drinking water with electrolytes only until I pass 1hour, then 15g carbs min per hour after on top until over 3 hours...which rarely happens.

Electrolytes as ESSENTIAL in hot weather, doesn't mean they're not of use other times, bit like saying you don't need water during a 1hour ride....which you don't, you won't die or anything, but you will recover better and maintain energy longer. Same effect again with electrolytes on any ride.

Simon E replied to Farky | 12 years ago
0 likes
Farky wrote:

Not quite right about the electrolytes there...everyone does need them and you'd be surprised how many could do with them on a cold or average day.
Electrolytes as ESSENTIAL in hot weather, doesn't mean they're not of use other times, bit like saying you don't need water during a 1hour ride

Can you provide the facts on which you've based these seemingly definitive statements?

Why haven't I gone dizzy through salt depletion on recent rides?

If it's so essential why would Magnus Backstedt tweet that he had done a 6 hour training ride at 350w with just water and a flapjack? The man is obviously a fool.

You don't need to drink during a 1 hour ride. You don't need a drink during a 25 mile time trial, there is enough glycogen in your system already and I'd venture that even on a hot day you wouldn't dehydrate enough to affect performance in that time - the diversion of drinking and drag from the rider moving out of an aero position would negate the possible benefit.

Food contains electrolytes (particularly bananas, I'm told). I still maintain no-one needs electrolyte drinks or gels for training rides. I'm happy if anyone wishes to use them but would prefer it not to be asserted that they are neccessary or even significantly beneficial at lower intensities. I can imagine that the rapid replishment provided by an energy or electrolyte drink could well be beneficial when racing for 2 hours or more but that's a very different scenario.

carlgrz | 12 years ago
0 likes

Groupon aside its a great deal. I use high 5 gels and the zero tabs. All top quality gear. The gels are different class to anything else I've tried and 3 tubes of zero tabs alone would set you back around 18 quid. #bargain

Gkam84 | 12 years ago
0 likes

Good deal, shame its Group On, voted the second worst company of 2011 and i wouldn't touch them with a barge pole

http://www.bitterwallet.com/category/worst-company-2011

Latest Comments