Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

2013 fantasy wish list

Dave,

Can we please get a "fantasy" App for next year?

It's just not so friendly on a mobile device!

Aside from that, so much better than 2011!

Keep up the good work.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

27 comments

antomeno | 12 years ago
0 likes

Anyway, also on mobile phone, it is much better than last year. Nice work, Dave!

Gkam84 | 12 years ago
0 likes

I could do a mobile app right now that would cover IOS, Android and BB, but it would just be a kinda bookmark app that leads you to the mobile version of the site

The only problem with doing that, is it would have advertisements from making the app  19

Thats why i haven't done it

But i'll wait to see whats being done game wise as Dave as said it will become more mobile friendly, so i'll see if it needs to be adjusted for a app after that or if its working fine for people  4

giff77 | 12 years ago
0 likes

Yeah, it is going to be challenging. I'm just having to remember the mantra. Two riders!!! @gkam - the fantasy page gives me no issues from my mobile - though - look forward to the mobile version. Yet the main site was a challenge - it would send my browser into meltdown. The new mobile friendly of road.cc is great for me. It would be cool to have a link for emoticons as remembering the key strokes is a pain in the ar3e. Maybe dave can oblige  1 if you doing an app be cool if you remember us crackberry users  3 I know we are probably further down the foodchain but it would be nice to be remembered  4

CarbonBreaker | 12 years ago
0 likes

I'll try that, thanks. While we are at it, the discussion above regarding team set up is very pertinent.

Choosing, even for the next stage is hard, only 2 from a team, so that is hard even for Sky, let alone any of the other super teams...

This is going to be tricky...

Gkam84 | 12 years ago
0 likes

Yeah CarbonBreaker, while trying to port it over yesterday and this morning, I'm finding the adverts difficult to control, but then again, they need to be there, in the web version anyway, because at the end of the day, the prizes need advertising space

I think it'll become more mobile friendly soon by the sounds of it and i'll still try and work something out for mobile's in the form of a app

giff77 | 12 years ago
0 likes

@carbonbreaker - I've bookmarked the fantasy page on my blackberry. Once you call up the page in your browser you can log on as normal. This should do it for you http://fantasy.road.cc/team

tommyjz | 12 years ago
0 likes

One big feature that is missing is a daily email (during a race) that tells you how your team did.

My wife is well into the idea of fantasy cycling so she can get to know that riders/teams in the pro tour. She has not logged in since the initial setup. She was expecting something like this.

Stumps replied to tommyjz | 12 years ago
0 likes
tommyjz wrote:

One big feature that is missing is a daily email (during a race) that tells you how your team did.

My wife is well into the idea of fantasy cycling so she can get to know that riders/teams in the pro tour. She has not logged in since the initial setup. She was expecting something like this.

If your missus has time to check emails each day then why doesn't she check the fantasy cycling site instead ?

Gkam84 | 12 years ago
0 likes

Yeah it is, I think there may be a few different reasons for this

1, we were all there yapping last year, so kinda know who's who and get involved
2, There may be people who are only playing for prizes and not interested in the social side
3, Some might feel intimidated by the "usual's" as they might not have little/none experience of pro cycling (not watched before, not watched for year....etc) and feel that we know alot, so are afraid to speak up? I'll tell them now, i can watch all the cycling everytime its on and i'm still clueless  3

Many other reasons, but unless you want me to cycling round the country making sure everyone gets involved, then its going to have to be the usual suspects yapping away again

Hopefully more people will get involved in the forum discussion's as the season progresses, We dont bite  3

Stumps | 12 years ago
0 likes

We seem to see the same names / signatures this year as last.

there only appears to be a few of us who actually check the forum on a daily basis.  39

Raleigh | 12 years ago
0 likes

It's all about looking up the stage profile in the Gazzetta, typing it into google translate, and then picking the wrong Chavanel and blaming it on Paul Sherwen.  19  19

Gkam84 | 12 years ago
0 likes

You know what or who is me?  39

Yes i used to drop in false info here and there last year to try and screw with people who were only looking on the forum, not getting involved and taking the tips from some of the guys who were chatting daily  19

Raleigh | 12 years ago
0 likes

Whenever I see this guy:  19 , I always know that it's Gkam84. I also seem to remember that he would be giving out false information last year with his massive post count as his credibility.  39

Wig_Billy | 12 years ago
0 likes

How about having a 'team leader' element added to the game? i.e. each stage you choose somebody to be your team leader and for that stage their score is doubled (like picking a captain in fantasy football).

aaus replied to Wig_Billy | 12 years ago
0 likes
Wig_Billy wrote:

How about having a 'team leader' element added to the game? i.e. each stage you choose somebody to be your team leader and for that stage their score is doubled (like picking a captain in fantasy football).

I really love the "team captain" feature in the fantasy football, so I think that adding this feature to fantasy cycling would be very nice too.

Rowing Fiend | 12 years ago
0 likes

I would love to have .1 races included! Maybe as a separate competition, or something, but that would add even more options!

keith roberts | 12 years ago
0 likes

I already seem to be doing better than last year with my team BLACKFOOT MK.2.. wether this is down to knowing the riders better and knowing where to find previous results this year is debatable. fact is, i'm finding it easier to understand and use the game in this guise than last years. it's still a sod though, because as mentioned above you cant have everyone you'd like!

so far i'm happy! thanks dave.  4

Stumps | 12 years ago
0 likes

In relation to the decisions about the star riders my personal opinion is that the game is now probably going to be won by someone who has the time to sift through every rider / stage and make decisions that way.

It's going to be a much harder game to win with people scoring big style if a lesser known rider gets away on his own and wins the stage.

I like it better to be honest.

Gkam84 | 12 years ago
0 likes

As we're only 21 days into 2012 and the season doesn't end till 23rd Oct, i dont think it matters  19

Back to the OP - CarbonBreaker, what mobile device are you using?

Been trying a few things all afternoon after "borrowing" the code from the site, it seems easier to make a mobile browser app for the game rather than a stand alone app, so if you had an android or apple, it seems easy to make it very mobile friendly by using a simple coding to change things slightly to relate to your phone  26

CarbonBreaker replied to Gkam84 | 12 years ago
0 likes

I'm using the iphone, tried a number of different browsers, and seem to get the best results with Atomic Web. The biggest issue seems to be, and I hate to say it, but all of the graphics, adverts, etc, etc of the main site, rather than the fantasy games itself, so if there was a way to only access the game window... (that particular frame/pane or whatever) then it would work really well.  39

Maybe I just want rid of the adverts  3

thefatcyclist | 12 years ago
0 likes

precisely why I made the point, to stimulate discussion, the game is going to be much more difficult. So stay the same or increase the pot??

Yup the tours are going to be crazy.

Gkam84 | 12 years ago
0 likes

Fatty, the problem the comes with having it the other way round, HOW are you going to afford them?

At the moment, even if you pick the least value star riders for 5 of them, thats going to be 69.7 of your budget and if you hit the top end your 171.9

I'm on the fence with the new star set up, I like that its a bit flexible, BUT with the limit still 2 riders per team, its going to be even harder to pick for the likes of the TdF, when you have Gilbert, Hushovd and Evans in the same team, where as last season, i could have them all

Hushovd - PC
Gilbert AR
Evans - GC

Then factor in (based on last years prices) that i would like Andy Schleck, Evans, Contador and Wiggo as my stars for the TdF, thats 141.1 giving me 8.9 to play with, going on the TDU this year, the cheapest DS is 2.5

So its not going to be possible and thats just with 4 star riders, so making it 5, your going to have to have a stupid budget to start with, making it easier for other races outside of the grand tour's to have all the top riders.

I think the way it is at the moment, is a balance between the strict categories last year and something where you could pick riders from categories, but with some flexibility

thefatcyclist | 12 years ago
0 likes

I was going to start a thread after the TDU was finished, on thoughts for the new game, and posting here although the 2012 wish list thread is still running, here we go then.

The game is a pleasure to play, but is actually harder than the old game in my opinion, and will get harder. Why?

Most important is the fact that in the old game we could choose 1GC, 1 PC, 1 KOM and 2 AR as you all know. The price we have paid is 4 star riders. Now in an easy race like the TDU or a day race like a classic, this is ok, but when it comes to the big 3, choosing teams is going to be hell. So my wish for 2013 is everything the same but 5 stars, 4 DS.

Because of the strength in depth of the big teams and especially, Sky, Rabo, Radiotrek, Saxo etc, some of that is going to be done for us, because there are going to be a lot of great riders missing from the tours. The other reason for asking for 5/4 is that the cost of many riders has taken them into the star category, and very many of last years Ds have become stars, or are at the top end of DS.

Gkam84 | 12 years ago
0 likes

If you have the code Dave, you can make an Android app easily  26

dave atkinson | 12 years ago
0 likes

there will be a more mobile friendly version of the site ready for the paris-nice. it's on the list...

Gkam84 | 12 years ago
0 likes

So good you had to post it four times  19

A mobile app would be great, but its alot of hassle to develop one, have done a few in my time, but to cover both IoS and Android is a nightmare

The fantasy site is loading just find on my tablet, not so much on my phone

Depending on how the game is coded, it could be easy or impossible to make an app for it, I'll have a look at it thought  19

CarbonBreaker replied to Gkam84 | 12 years ago
0 likes

Apologies for the 4 posts, I'm having mobile issues!

Latest Comments