Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Sportive entry costs

Afer many years mountainbiking i've turned to road cycling and so far enjoying it.
Friends of mine take part in sportives so i thought i'd give it a go next year.
Looking at a couple of sportives in my area,the north east,i was amazed at the entry prices.One was £50 and the other £61.I know that other sportives are not these prices but does anyone actually think these sort of entry fees are reasonable.
I'll be sticking with the club rides next year !

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

35 comments

joemmo | 12 years ago
0 likes

To the OP - if you're in the north east, look at the Ryedale Rumble, Sept 2nd in North Yorks.

Last year's entry was £27 and included parking, pre-ride breakfast and coffee, gels, timing chip, fantastic food stops (pies! fruit! mars bars!) great routes(3), coffee, pasta, changing and showers at the end and a t-shirt.

That's good value I'd say.

iammrc | 12 years ago
0 likes

Don't know how far you are prepared to travel but check out www.polocini.com.

All their sportives have a fixed price of £20 and this includes:

Porridge
Energy Gels
Hydration drink
Coffee
After ride meal of pasta.

Usually two well signed distances including at least a couple of decent climbs.

Did three last year myself and can't fault any of it.

Excellent value for money in my opinion.

Timbo13 replied to iammrc | 12 years ago
0 likes
iammrc wrote:

Don't know how far you are prepared to travel but check out www.polocini.com.

All their sportives have a fixed price of £20 and this includes:

Porridge
Energy Gels
Hydration drink
Coffee
After ride meal of pasta.

Usually two well signed distances including at least a couple of decent climbs.

Did three last year myself and can't fault any of it.

Excellent value for money in my opinion.

+1. And an organiser who not only cares but is willing to engage, whether face to face, by email or on Twitter.

fuzzywuzzy | 12 years ago
0 likes

I see the Mario Cipollini sportive (in Bristol) is only £100, bargain. Then again I guess it's something worth trying (smallish ride with a big name pro), you'd have to really want to meet the pro to pay 4x the price of a normal sportive though. Wonder how much they're paying MC himself...

Crun | 12 years ago
0 likes

Peterborough Cycling Club's first ever Sportive on 10th July, 2011 cost £10 in advance, £15 entry on the day

Over 100 riders had registered before the event and many others signed up on the day to ride on the perhaps the sunniest Sunday of 2011.

The ride generated interest from across the region and during the following days and weeks many positive and congratulatory e-mails were received commending the Club for its effort, organisation and, perhaps most importantly, the quality and content at the food-stops.

Plans are already afoot for 2012, due to “public” demand, to re-run the event.

joeegg | 12 years ago
0 likes

What makes me feel uneasy is the fact that some of these sportives are linked to charities.
Looking behind the charity headline it appears,i stand to be corrected,that it is private organisations running the events.
I have no problem people taking part in events for charity,a great way to raise money and awareness.
But,out of an entry cost of £61,what is the amount actually handed over to the said charity.
I believe it would be better for the organisers to publish the amount upfront before people pay their entry fees.

Mostyn | 12 years ago
0 likes

Sportives!

Wow there seems to be a price hike on everything these days; including a day out cycling with other like minded people! Some of the entry fees do seem to be at a ridiculously high level! In my opinion they are money making and completely overpriced un-necessary profit making practises.

Bring back the organised club rides! Audax and buy a meal out.

Blackhound | 12 years ago
0 likes

I did the Tour of the Peak from Darley dale about 2 years ago. Can't recall entry fee but about £25-£30. A bunch from the club were going so went along. We knew some of the roads but some were a bit far away for a regular day ride. Food was mentioned at the finish but all I got was a dry bread roll! I was towards the back as our group stopped off in Glossop for a cafe stop. Some of the guys were the first back on the 100 miler and the promised thai food was already gone from the riders on the shorter loops. This was wrong as they knew how many were entered.

Audaxes cost about £5 to enter but you have to buy or provide your own food on the course. Sportive's you get fed plus a water bottle, t-shirt or something. In the end not a lot different in cost but I prefer an audax.

A couple of years ago I did the Etape Caledonia route a few days before the event (the one with the tacks) and it was a lovely route and virtually traffic free roads. Escape Bikes in Pitlochry have a map of the route. Personnaly I would prefer to ride on my own or with a few mates rather than be surrounded by hundreds of other riders. Each to his own though, we are all different.

Timbo13 replied to Blackhound | 12 years ago
0 likes
Blackhound wrote:

I did the Tour of the Peak from Darley dale about 2 years ago. Can't recall entry fee but about £25-£30. A bunch from the club were going so went along. We knew some of the roads but some were a bit far away for a regular day ride. Food was mentioned at the finish but all I got was a dry bread roll! I was towards the back as our group stopped off in Glossop for a cafe stop. Some of the guys were the first back on the 100 miler and the promised thai food was already gone from the riders on the shorter loops. This was wrong as they knew how many were entered.

Just to clarify, this was not the Kilo to Go Tour of the Peak but a different sportive entirely, run by "Torelli". I rode both that year. Chalk and cheese, or more accurately sugar and sh*te

monty dog | 12 years ago
0 likes

Re the earlier comment regarding insurance, some UK organisers state it's the high cost of liability insurance that pushes up entry costs. However, most of this insurance is there to protect the organiser for liability if an incident were to occur to a participant or third party - I'd still make sure I have my own cover to protect my interests.

the_mikey | 12 years ago
0 likes

Ultimately it's down to if you enjoyed it or not.

Some people can happily go out and spend £60 on a night out, come home at the end of it very drunk and sick, They could also just sit at home with a bottle of spirits and spend a lot less for the same result.

Sportives are like the drinkers night out, although if you have the right friends/company then perhaps you can achieve the sportive experience for a lot less. Not everyone is lucky enough to have friends like that, but going out for a ride alone is not the same!

BigDummy | 12 years ago
0 likes

If it's a Big Day Out that you wouldn't otherwise do, and it comes good, then it's money reasonably well spent I think.

I'll not pay entry fees to ride roads I know with people I don't know, but foer various reasons paying a bit of money for an entry helps to get a group of friends together and committed to a big ride in their diaries, often seeig somewhere slightly different or taking a train ride that I'd not bother with if there wasn't an event.

The big money ones put me off because I just can't imagine the value being there on the day, but I'll pay those sorts of sums for entry to mountainbike events without batting an eyelid.

joeegg | 12 years ago
0 likes

I suppose its how you quantify value for money.
A good ride out with the club ,or mates, is the price of a stop at the cafe.
More events will be set up because the pricing structure seems to be highly profitable,and that will draw in companies not interested in cycling, or supporting the sport,but more concerned about the bottom line.

nick_rearden | 12 years ago
0 likes

It's a tricky one, isn't it? But the fact is that the events charging £50-£60 really aren't that huge in number and the organisers running them feel under pressure to provide good value otherwise people won't come back year after year. Note for example that the Dragon Ride which had some complaints last year due to timer chips not working including mine still sold out in hours for 2012. Why? Because it was a great event to attend and ride and even if I had totted up the overall cost (+£60 petrol for starters) it was still a great day. Of course, I wouldn't do that every weekend because I could neither afford it nor get permission to be away all day every weekend even if I wanted to. A couple like that are the highlights of the year that you work up to with the remainder of cheaper or free rides slotted in around work, family commitments etc. It's all good. If you don't want to ride 'em, don't. If you want to travel all over the country to seek out every one, every weekend including all the international ones; that's good, too. Whatever works for your life. All I know is that organisers setting up their events on the road.cc What's On calendar has exploded and if that means there is more choice for more people then that can only be a good thing all round.

Stumps | 12 years ago
0 likes

If your in the North East try the Northern Rock Cyclone in June 2012 - entry cost is £25. Well worth every penny (i did it last year and met a load of the Sky team as the British Champs were on the same weekend).

PeteH | 12 years ago
0 likes

@monty - do you reckon the sportive organisers don't need to bother with getting the event insured then? The sportives I have entered, they don't make any kind of pre-condition that individual entrants have to have their own insurance, I had always kind of assumed that I'd be covered in some kind of event insurance.... but there again maybe not. (For me it doesn't really matter in any case since I am insured through BC.)

@joeegg - "cycling just for the affluent 50 somethings?". Well the experiences brought out in this thread certainly seem to be suggesting "sportives just for the affluent 50 somethings", but I wouldn't go as far as saying "cycling".

joeegg | 12 years ago
0 likes

I totally agree with you monty dog.
There was an article on road cc about the current fashion of Argyle patterns on cycle clothing.
It was claimed its because " cycling is the new golf ".
Cycling just for the affluent 50 somethings.
Lets hope not.

monty dog | 12 years ago
0 likes

There are lots of events in Europe for 20 Euros and the only reason for UK fees is profiteering and too many gullible people prepared to put up with it. Insurance is spurious as you can get a years membership to BC, CTC which includes 12 months third party insurance for less than an entry fee. If I want to ride 150 mies in a day I can work out my own route with friends and have a slap- up lunch at a cafe of my choice. If I want to ride hard, I enter a race and know that most other riders are competent too and that marshalls keep traffic off the course.

the_mikey | 12 years ago
0 likes

I enter a few sportives, but the sportives I enjoy most are ones that aren't in my local area, cycling around countryside I would not normally ride on. I am not a member of a club, most of the clubs local to me expect a lot more than I can give, when I can only attend a sunday club run perhaps one or two weekends a month,I've tried audax but that's really not for me.

PeteH | 12 years ago
0 likes

okay, so basically when we're talking about paying £60plus for a UK sportive we're expecting an experience on a par if not better than the Etape du Tour?

Does that match with the reality?

(I'm assuming here that the Etape du Tour is well organised.)

Have to say, I looked at the audax uk website last night and it does look kind of interesting. I've done a few 100k+ summer rides but to see rides that are 200k+ is pretty jaw-dropping. I wish I were 20 years younger...

Gkam84 replied to PeteH | 12 years ago
0 likes
PeteH wrote:

okay, so basically when we're talking about paying £60plus for a UK sportive we're expecting an experience on a par if not better than the Etape du Tour?

Does that match with the reality?

(I'm assuming here that the Etape du Tour is well organised.)

I'm going on your assumption aswell that it is well organised as i guess it would be

But NO, you shouldn't be expecting the same if not better in the UK, for a few reasons

1. You might be lucky to get closed roads over here, but because this country puts up some much resistance to roads being closed and not enough attention on fun and fitness through these type of events, Just look at what keeps happening on the Etape Caledonia, people out putting nails all over the road

2. Its not very often you get to race the same stage as the worlds best/most well known in what is normally great weather, The UK climate can never offer the best of weather even in the height of summer

3. The caliber of riders doing the UK sportive's can vary widely from guys who should be pro to the guys who have to walk up the smallest of climbs. To take on the Etape Du Tour, you have to really think about your own fitness and turn up ready for it and be able to finish as your accommodation is normally near the finish point and being in a foreign country, your not going to just stop and jump on a bus, lol, i also think they would have a van/lorry picking up stragglers that most sportives in the UK don't have

Gkam84 | 12 years ago
0 likes

Depending on how you enter Etape du tour it can range from £80-200 plus you add in the cost of getting there and somewhere to stay

For instance some charity's have got a team onto Act 1 and 2 next year, entry with them is only £99 but then you pay for everything yourself and also raise some cash for them

http://www.getkidsgoing.com/letape_du_tour.htm

Where as, if you go for a whole package, If you wanted to do Act 1 and 2 with the 3 nights half board and everything else, your talking the best part of £1500

http://www.frenchcyclingholidays.com/sport/etape.html

dave atkinson | 12 years ago
0 likes

Etape du tour is around €100.

Audax is great, BTW. less than a tenner a go and generally organised and ridden by experienced, friendly and helpful folk. Gonna try for a 400km this year...

Simon E replied to dave atkinson | 12 years ago
0 likes
dave_atkinson wrote:

Gonna try for a 400km this year...

^^ there be a proper headcase.

Something like the Irish Mail would be a good one, but I'm not sure it will be on this year. He is running the 300 km Elenydd from Shropshire into mid-Wales (a terrific area for cycling):
http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/12-748/

I don't wish to condemn every event as a ripoff, some organisers try hard to provide a good day out. The answer to a finding a decent sportive event is to look at the popular forums (Bikeradar, for example) and find out which ones are consistently well rated and go from there. For instance, Epic Cycles' events in Worcestershire are always popular and ones like the Spud Riley and Anthony Maynard always get glowing feedback. As in all things in life, some do a job properly and some don't.

Spend wisely and hopefully your £30 will give you a good day out (in the scheme of things it's not a great deal of money). Conversely, a poorly organised event with dodgy food and poor signage might lead you to feel it was poor value.

A starting point for next year:
http://www.sportivescene.co.uk/2012-cycle-sportive-calendar/

_SiD_ | 12 years ago
0 likes

As mentioned above, it's merely symptomatic of cycling's popularity.

You could argue that a well run sportive, say £50-60 is no more extortionate than a Rapha jersey at £150 or carbon bike, wheels and components at £5000. You pays your money.

Most sportives have their origins in club runs/events and have been struggling to cope with the huge demand in recent years, I suspect this is why the private event companies have been moving in recently. Lots of local councils and tourism authorities have also been keen to jump on the bandwagon - which I fear marks the beginning of the end.

They can be hugely expensive to organise both time and money. You also must be very thick skinned to take one on - keeping a few thousand people happy and more importantly safe for the best part of a day over a huge geographical area is a huge undertaking and not to be taken lightly.

I hope the good, well run events with their hearts and roots in the right places do become established as those on the continent have.

PeteH | 12 years ago
0 likes

Gkam, you mention insurance and that's a good point. As an individual I took out some public liability insurance which specifically excluded racing. if I wanted to race they would insure me but at a higher premium

The sportives I've entered, the organisers clearly point out that it is a sportive, not a race. (This despite them offering different medals depending on finish time.) One assumes that they're not pointing this out for the fun of it, but as a condition of their insurance.

Incidentally when I queried the cost of the Etape earlier I meant the Etape du Tour. I have no knowledge whatsoever of continental events, does anyone know how the prices stack up against uk events?

joeegg | 12 years ago
0 likes

Marketing companies "create" demand.
A friend in the bike club mentioned Audax events that they did this year so being a Yorkshire tight wad this may be my low cost alternative.

Simon E | 12 years ago
0 likes

Sportive organisers are only responding to demand.

My suggestion:

Audax.

Gkam84 | 12 years ago
0 likes

The Etape Cymru 2012 costs £55 as far as i know, The Etape Caledonia is £61 this year

There is one thing i think some people are missing, these things cost a bit to organise as they need certain permission's/insurance and license's to run them, I dont know how much they cost

The reason i only enter a few here and there is not based on money, but my ability to run upright for a certain time, I don't do sportive's over 50-70 miles as i'd not be able to complete unless its on my recumbent

PeteH | 12 years ago
0 likes

A question - anyone know how much it costs to ride the Etape?

Pages

Latest Comments