Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

bike grease

anybody got any tips for getting grease off my bike jacket.tried washing it and used vanish and other stainremovers but it hasnt got rid if it.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

4 comments

Simon E | 12 years ago
0 likes

Do you use laundry liquid? Soak the grease spot in some of that to break it down before washing. Mind you, I'm not sure it will be better than vanish but it's unlikely to do much harm.

The only other thing I can think might work is some kind of citrus based product (but maybe not bike degreaser, that sounds a bit violent).

mpt68 | 12 years ago
0 likes

the chain snapped on mine giff thats how i got the marks.bloody annoying that they wont come out though

giff77 | 12 years ago
0 likes

Was about to say leave it!! My jacket has various marks that I look at with fondness or loathing!! The snapped chain, the puncture in the middle of nowhere in the driving rain and closing dark. Treat it as a war wound  3

PeteH | 12 years ago
0 likes

I'm hesitant to suggest this but the only thing I can think of is chain degreaser? Probably far too abrasive for a delicate jacket but the one I use makes all sorts of claims about how "green" it is.... Maybe have a look online and see if you can make some sense of the ingredients in these cleaners and see if you can find anything that might be safe?

Or ask a dry cleaner for advice?

But if these modern biological gels can't get it out I reckon you're stuck. Anyways, it proves you're actually using the thing rather than just wearing it to look good!

Latest Comments