Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Greed? Can riders choose?

Right this might open up a can of worms, but i thought i'd ask it and see what people think/know

Right La Vuelta has not got the greatest startlist with alot of the big guys not riding it........BUT the USA pro challenge in Colorado has most of the top guys there

i.e. The Schleck, Evans, Basso, Leipheimer, Van Garderen, Hincapie, VandeVelde, Zabriskie and many others

Now i know alot of them ride of American teams and then you have the bike sponsors like Trek and Cannondale, so yes the teams want to have a good showing

But how much can the riders make up their own minds where they want to be riding?

Its just the Vuelta seems to be losing its status a bit with the big guys not going and heading to the US, also apparently the prize money over there is huge and there is talk of the Vuelta being cut to 2 weeks in the future and the USA pro challenge being expanded

What are your thoughts? riders greed, team commitments, la vuelta losing status as a GT......

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

1 comments

robert.brady | 13 years ago
0 likes

I'd have thought a lot of it would be to do with the world championships being close to the end of the Vuelta.
It would be hard to be in good shape for the world champs after a 3 week tour and possibly most of the riders you name would rather be world champion than win the Vuelta.

Rob

Latest Comments