Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

carousel annoying anyone else?

Does anyone else find the carousel on the home page of road.cc annoying, or is it just me? I don't like how it moves to the next slide before I can read all of the text, and there is no way to pause it. So I press the back arrow, find my place in the text and start reading again, and it moves again!

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

13 comments

daviddb | 13 years ago
0 likes

And another thing only marginaly off topic how about two or three more words on the "recent comments" thang for the forums....

Just sayin' mind.

cat1commuter | 13 years ago
0 likes

I like the behaviour of the carousel on the front page of The Register http://www.theregister.co.uk/

Mousing over the number of the slide make it easy to navigate them. Also note that each slide is displayed for 5 seconds, even though they have very pithy text.

londonplayer | 13 years ago
0 likes

It drives me nuts also. I always click on the news link to move to that page asap.

handlebarcam | 13 years ago
0 likes

One change you might like to consider is making your div with the class "jcarousel_waiting" the same size as the carousel itself, so that everything below it doesn't jump about 300 pixels down the page when the JavaScript eventually gets round to displaying it.

PJ McNally | 13 years ago
0 likes

yes z the carousel (didn't know the name until now) is annoying - I often read road.cc on my smartphone, and it all displays well - except the carousel!

Tony Farrelly | 13 years ago
0 likes

Sorry in advance then RoulerTwo you won't be enjoying the new carousels we're planning to deploy around the site then. Mind you, it'll probably take us ages to get round to actually doing it

RouleurTwo | 13 years ago
0 likes

No it's not just you. It is annoying and seems to me unnecessary. Im quite capable of scrolling through the top six stories to see what grabs without the site doing it for me.

Tony Farrelly | 13 years ago
0 likes

Funnily enough this is the first time anyone has mentioned it being too fast that I can remember at least. We are planning a new carousel for the homepage though which would address the problem cat1 because it will display the content in a different way. I'm not totally sure that it is that easy to change the time it takes for the carousel to scroll through the stories - I could be wrong, but I reckon it if was simple to fiddle with the scroll times we wouldn't have been able to help ourselves and we'd have fiddled with 'em.

It probably does spend less time displaying each story than when we first started using it, we're showing more stories on it in the same amount of time… we did find the button that allowed us to do that a couple of years back.

cat1commuter replied to Tony Farrelly | 13 years ago
0 likes
tony_farrelly wrote:

Funnily enough this is the first time anyone has mentioned it being too fast that I can remember at least.

OK, so it is only me then!

giff77 | 13 years ago
0 likes

I just scroll down the main page and find the relevant article  4 figured this was better than speed reading!!!

nick_rearden | 13 years ago
0 likes

Fixed the GT link; that was my fault.

Mmm; speediness of carousel. Know what you're saying but tech-in-chief Big Dave will be torn between setting a time that allows you to absorb the full drama of my pithy intros and one that allows first time visitors to lose the will to live and move on before they have realised there are other probably more interesting stories to read on the site.

The purpose of the carousel is to offer a quick taster of the best new stories and if it makes you go 'Arg' when it turns over (happens to me 20 times a day) it's probably doing its job. Those big back-and-forth arrows are there if you must but ideally we want you clicking on the stories. Yes, even mine.

Having said that, Big Dave * could * change the timing if he thought that many people were spitting feathers. He's very reasonable like that.

cat1commuter replied to nick_rearden | 13 years ago
0 likes
nick_rearden wrote:

Having said that, Big Dave * could * change the timing if he thought that many people were spitting feathers. He's very reasonable like that.

Or just allow me to pause the blighter!

I reckon if it paused when the mouse was over it, that would be perfect. Would allow me to read the text, then follow the link without it exiting stage right.

stewieatb | 13 years ago
0 likes

Mmmm, it can be a bit quick. It currently has an article about GT road bikes floating around on it that is a dead link, which is annoying me more.

Latest Comments