Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Panniers or Trailer?

Got a few trips lined up this summer, each at least 4 days, so i'll be taking a tent and other things with me

Just wondered what people who go camping with their bikes prefer, Panniers or Trailer?

I have a rack and panniers, but never really used them, infact only had the rack fitted ones to check the size. But having a scout around i really fancy a trailer, just seems much easier and more sensible for the things i want to take with me

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

8 comments

dave atkinson | 13 years ago
0 likes

i'd get a tough water bag and lay it on your rack under your tent and kit. it won't affect the handling too much there

Gkam84 | 13 years ago
0 likes

Right guys and dolls

One last question for those who have done longer breaks, What did you do for hydration/water to cook with?

I have 2 x 750ml water bottles and a 2l hydration pack, so thats good for a couple of days just biking, But, i'm going to be away from the beaten track, not near any homes or a river

I packed up my panniers just to see i can get everything in, just about, going to be leaving quite a bit behind and living in cycling gear and shoes, but i'll survive with that, just the water issue to think about

I thought about an empty 2l bottle, but thats going to add weight, lower room and set my bike off unbalanced to one side

Any ideas?

Gkam84 | 13 years ago
0 likes

Looks like Panniers then, lol, See if i can get everything in then with the tent strapped on top, just aswell its a tiny sleeping bag and tent, planning a couple of weeks through Holland to Germany this summer, so i'll get a feel for what i can pack over smaller trips and then make my mind up

PJ McNally | 13 years ago
0 likes

Stick to panniers!

I did a week long cycling camping tour in Ireland, tent and all, split between me and my partner. Rear panniers only. Much easier - imagine if at the end of the day, a nice farmer offers you a shed for the bike - a trailer's more trouble than it's worth.

My trailer is only for really heavy duty shifting stuff - even just doing the shopping doesn't warrant it. If you need to buy 30l of fruit juices, OTOH, then...

Cooks | 13 years ago
0 likes

I did a lejog with just rear panniers. Tents and stuff can get mounted on top of the rack.

Gkam84 | 13 years ago
0 likes

Thanks, I'm not that concerned about pulling the weight up hill, i'm going to mostly flat places

The thing with Beaumont is he had front panniers, i cannot mount them, now would i wish to because i had my front end set up very particular and cannot go messing with weight on there

Cooks | 13 years ago
0 likes

I'd be concerned with the weight of the trailer. Wouldn't fancy towing that up a hill.

stewieatb | 13 years ago
0 likes

As with rucksacks for walking, the smaller the space you have available to fill, the less stuff you will take and the faster and/or easier the cycling will be - Panniers would normally add up to less space, so fit them and see if you can get your gear in. Light is right. They will tend to get in the way more though. Consider also that Mark Beaumont has used panniers on his big trips.

Latest Comments