Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Bib shorts rapha vs assos

Ive just worn through a pair of assos bibshort and looking to replace them. Can anyone help me choose between the assos and raphas. Assos have served me well for a year but i also love my rapha jerseys.

thanks

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

15 comments

litespeeddavemira | 13 years ago
0 likes

I have a pair of S5 Mille and a pair of rapha team issues.

I find that the assos are uncomfortable after a while, not in any pain as such, I just noticed the raphas don't do it, although i didn't really notice until the last ride out as i normally favour my assos because they dont have condor plastered all over them  13

harvey1-8 | 13 years ago
0 likes

I wore through a pair of Adidas bib shorts over the weekend and was considering either Rapha or Assos as a replacement. After reading this I'm going to check out some Castelli now.

Martin Thomas | 13 years ago
0 likes

Hmmm, not sure you can really claim that Shutt bibs are better quality than Assos, Jon. I have both and they're both excellent but the Assos are definitely better IMO. Quite a lot better actually. I wouldn't wear anything other than the Assos for rides of 100 miles or more. They were more than twice the price, of course, so they bloody well should be better. The Shutt bibs clearly represent much better value for money, but I don't think it's fair to claim that they're better in absolute terms. That said, if my Assos give up the ghost within two years I'd be well narked!

Jon Burrage | 13 years ago
0 likes

Castelli or shutt vr - no questions.

Better quality, classier, less fashion victim and far less money.

Jon Burrage | 13 years ago
0 likes

Castelli or shutt vr - no questions.

Better quality, classier, less fashion victim and far less money.

geoSpectrum | 13 years ago
0 likes

4 Lusso Coolmax bib shorts. They will last you about 8 years.

x8swift9x | 13 years ago
0 likes

My Assos have served me well, but I am growing more fond of my castelli shorts each time I ride them. It's got to the point where I purposely wash the castellis the night before, even though the assos pair are ready anyway!

SimpleSimon | 13 years ago
0 likes

I prefer the Panache ones on CyclingParadise.com  39

Psyclyst | 13 years ago
0 likes

I haven't tried any of these but they seem well reviewed:

1) De Marchi Contour Evo

Cheaper..but good

2) Shutt Pro Bib Shorts

3) Giordana Tenax Carbon

My regulars are the Gore Bike Wear Power Shorts and I'm happy with them.

Then again if the Assos worked out why take a gamble  1

pedalpowerDC replied to Psyclyst | 13 years ago
0 likes

I've never felt anything better than Pearl Izumi Octane.

I find the Rapha and Assos both to be too bulky in the chamois. That thing is seriously thick. I'll wear them in cool weather to keep my junk warm but not when it gets warm.

I had some serious fit issues with Craft (2 seasons ago). Bibs were way too long (like they were made for a 6'6" person's torso on a size L short) and chamios was way too far back. They got sent back. I'd hope that Craft has since gotten their fit/production issues in order since they're on the big stage with Leopard.

Winton | 13 years ago
0 likes

My experience of Rapha and Assos has always been very favourable but when it comes to bibs, try some Castelli Free Aeros. A smidge cheaper and super, super comfortable. They really are fantastic.

KirinChris | 13 years ago
0 likes

A velcro accident  39 Are there photos ?

I've never liked Assos stuff and regretted every piece I've bought (except a pair of socks, they're OK). I'm just not an Assos shape I guess.

My point being that it's like asking to help choose between a BMW and a Mercedes. You're not going to go far wrong but it's up to personal taste.

I would get Giordana Body Clones, which are IMHO the best around. Just checked and the 2010 range is available at Ribble for £77 - buy two pairs and keep one for later.

Fringe | 13 years ago
0 likes

well, if it were me i'd go for the Rapha and see what there like, as going by yer track record you can always go back to Assos next year if you dont get on with them.  4

but seriously i expect they would both be excellent shorts. mind you Gore power bibs 2.0 are good and about half the price.

miffed | 13 years ago
0 likes

its a lot of riding plus a stupid velcro accident. its also really closer to two years.

KirinChris | 13 years ago
0 likes

If I got a year from a pair of bibs that cost that much I'd be thinking I should get my money back.

Aside from that, starting with a shortlist of Assos and Rapha is beyond help.

Latest Comments