Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Knee pain...

Evening all. Any doctors in the house? Anyway, before I go and see a real GP, just wondered if any of you have had a similar problem and if so, how did you beat it?

My left knee hurts when I bend my leg, sort of at the back, but most ly internally. I can still walk around unimpeded, and on my bike it doesnt hurt or ahything, just basic things like squatting brings sharp pain. Very annoying. The right leg is fine.

A serious cyclist friend of mine thought it could be down to my seat being too high, but with the pedal at the bottom of the stroke my leg isnt completely straight. A pretty annoying infliction that I'm not sure how best to cure.

If I go to my doctors can I be refferred to an NHS physio?

Anyway, advice is appreciated....

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

8 comments

Mscott | 15 years ago
0 likes

Have quite the same thing... I do strechting almost every day when I wake up and when I go to bed. My knee is feeling better now!

Jon Burrage | 15 years ago
0 likes

fair point dave.

dave atkinson | 15 years ago
0 likes

Well it is stating the obvious but the old RICE (rest, ice, compression, elevation) treatment does tend to do some good for most injuries you'll get riding a bike (not necessarily falling off one). Cycling is non-impact so injuries tend to be joint/muscle related and rest is normally a good tonic

0 likes

If you have a similar experience to me when visiting gp's with injury problems they tend to say "rest", "ibuprofen", "ice"....nhs physio in 3 months?

0 likes

I had somthing that sounds similar to you. It is called plica syndrome, google it as this will explain it better than I can. I could cycle but not hard, I couldnt run...walking was fine but squatting was agony.

The physio suggested stretches and movements to strengthen it but the main piece benefit came from rest. You can certainly be referred to an NHS physio but when I tried (bath/bristol area) I was told it would be a 9 week minimum wait to be seen.

gandberg replied to Jon Burrage | 15 years ago
0 likes

tells me its caused by remnants of foetal tissue. Interesting.

3.15 on Friday is my doctors appointment, lets see what they say.

Cheers.

Barry Fry-up | 15 years ago
0 likes

First things first I guess. What pedals do you use? Have they got plenty of float? I used to have terrible trouble with my right knee when i was using Look Deltas but I switched to the Look Quartz ones which have tons of float and it pretty much sorted it overnight.

The other thing that's really common is muscle imbalance in the knee, cycling favours some muscles over others. Simple stretching exercises and some basic Yoga can help there.

Not sure about NHS Physios...

gandberg replied to Barry Fry-up | 15 years ago
0 likes

Look Keo's with 9 degrees of float, I have the red cleats anyway. Yeah, had considered yoga and stretching more. It doesnt feel like a bad injury, just niggling.

Time to google muscle imbalance, see what Sheldon has to say about it  1

Cheers.

Latest Comments