Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

28mm tyres.

I have a Felt F FRD 2014 road bike. I can get some Continental GP 5000s for a great price but am wondering if they will fit. Felt advise against this and claim no more than 23mm. I've tried a 25mm one and it seems fine with plenty of clearance. Any opinions, advice to be offered from anyone? I'm keen to hear from others who may have had this issue. Cheers in advance. 

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

7 comments

matthewn5 | 2 years ago
0 likes

I've got a 28c Rubino Pro on a wide rim under a mudguard with a Campag D-skeleton brake on the back of my Allez Sprint Comp working just fine. At the front I've a 25c under a mudguard and a double pivot caliper and it's a much tighter fit. Indeed, I've had to shim the dropouts by 0.8mm to give enough clearance for the grit carried by the tyre. Give it a try, it might work - though in my experience those Contis come up pretty big.

EddyBerckx | 2 years ago
0 likes

No way will they fit...I reckon. Rim brake bikes are very limited in comparison with disc models with regards to tyre clearance (at least they used to be, not sure if it's improved for current models).

pay a bit more and get the 25mms, I think probikekit have the 25mms on offer at the mo. By the time you've sent back the 28mms any saving may well be gone anyway

Rendel Harris replied to EddyBerckx | 2 years ago
0 likes

Not sure about that - my 2014 Ultegra rim brakes could take a couple more mms at least over the 25 front/28 rear I'm currently running, it's frame clearance, not brake clearance, that's stopping me going any bigger. May be different for other models of course.

IanMSpencer | 2 years ago
0 likes

As brands are not consistent even within themselves, the sizes are only a guide so fit and check is the way to go. It is not uncommon to fit a larger rear tyre than front and often I've found that the rear tends to be more tolerant than the fork and the rear takes extra load anyhow.

Do bear in mind that wheels move around and distort when cornering, so don't assume that a tyre in the stand will work on the road, especially with wearing bearings, so Recoveryride's comment on ensuring clearance is wise advice.

Rendel Harris | 2 years ago
0 likes

Can you return if they don't fit? If so buy and try! I don't know why the manufacturer would advise against any tyre that can fit, I can't think of any issues that would cause if it doesn't rub - I have a 28mm rear with a clearance so tight I have to deflate it before removing the wheel to put it on the trainer, but it works fine.

Recoveryride | 2 years ago
0 likes

Quite simply you'll need to measure. If there's at least 4mm clearance in all directions (I use an allen key as a measure), then you could try the 28s, but beware grit getting caught and scratching the underside of the fork. Also note some rim brake caliper setups (notably older Campag) can be very reluctant to accommodate 28mm tyres. My 2016 TT bike will only accept a 25 on the rear wheel if I deflate it first!

mightyquin replied to Recoveryride | 2 years ago
0 likes

Thanks Recoveryride. I have no 28mm to try out but a 25mm is allowing for one even with the Allen key test. I might chance it and get them anyway and if they don't fit, they'll do for the next bike. In case you're wondering, yes I am a retailers dream. Currently trying to talk myself into some Oakley Katos, simply because I like them. Cheers. 

Latest Comments