Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Bontrager xxx4 disc clincher vs roval clx 50 disc clincher

Hi Guys and Girls,

I am asking your experiences and opinion on the 2 wheelsets in the subject of this post. I recently bought my new bike. An Trek Emonda 9 disc without wheels. I am planning to use the emonda for my granfondo races (with a lot of climbs) and some classics in Belgium (bad weather and sometimes cobbles). A wheelset with a big internal width is important for that 😉
I love to have a light but stiff wheelset that is all-round so that I can Climb but also have some aero advantage while riding all-out on the flat.

I have 3 options and I can’t decide so I am asking your help.

1. Bontrager xxx 4 disc clincher wheelset which I can buy in a shop for 2.000€. the shop does all my Maintenance.
- I will have a 2 year crash warranty on them
-lifetime guarantee for product faults
Specs:
47mm deep, 1460 grams. Dt swiss 240 hubs, 1460 grams, 21mm internal width
-> trek and bontrager are a nice match but thats not the most important argument.

2. Roval CLX 50 disc clincher wheelset.
I have found these for 1.500€ second hand. The person selling tells me that he has never rode them because they came with his bike but he is looking to Change them. Problem with second hand is, you never know the real story and in comparison with option 1. There is only a 2 year warranty on production faults. Wheels come with tyres.
Specs:
50mm deep, dt swiss 240 hub with ceramic speed bearings, 1390grams. 20,7mm internal width.
-> roval + trek but does it matter?

3. I know that I will have the possibility to buy a used bontrager xxx 4 disc tubular set with brakes and cassette in some Months for +\- €1.000. This means that I can save a lot of money but need to ride with tubulars (which I already do on some wheels today) and need to wait to ride my bike for some months or rent some wheels in the meantime.

I still need to buy tyres + discs, i already have a cassette!

Thank you for your opinions!!!

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Latest Comments