Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Advice: First Gravel Bike

I am a longtime Mtn Bike and Road bike rider who just recently moved farther outside the city and the bumpy country roads are not to pleasant on my 2013 road bike. I am looking to get a gravel bike in the $2000 range. I am most intrigued by:

Canyon Grail AL -Seems to be best component set for price
Cannondale Topstone 105- Best Frame
Specialized Diverge E5 Comp-Intrigued by the future shock

Your thoughts on the three above and/or your opinion on a better choice? Thanks --JB

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

2 comments

kil0ran | 4 years ago
0 likes

I haven't ridden a Futureshock equipped bike but I do have a Redshift Shockstop stem on my gravel/tourer - a Fairlight Faran. I'm detecting a reduction in hand pain even though I was already riding on 650B/47c tyres so I'm sold on the idea. Obviously a future shock is a bit more integrated.

If it helps narrow down the choice think about how versatile the bike is going to be - are the stock wheels tubeless compatible? Does it have rack and guard mounts? Also, if you're comfortable on your road bike can you get a similar position on the prospective new bike - measure your stack and reach and compare. 

Huckfinn replied to kil0ran | 4 years ago
0 likes

I am (was) in a similar situation. And bought a Carbon Canyon Grail in outlet. No regrets...Go for it! (added bonus: you can send it back, no questions asked, within 30days if not happy).

Latest Comments