Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Cycling on the road

I'm new to cycling as a whole and live in Tunbridge Wells. While there are several cycling paths you can't get most places without using the road. Especially the surrounding countryside along the A21 which passes through several villages .Trouble is there are plenty of idiots on the road driving and the road is very narrow in parts

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

4 comments

HeadDown | 4 years ago
0 likes

Personally, I would avoid cycling on an A road at all costs. It's sad to admit defeat, and I'm sure there are plenty who would disagree, but the enjoyment of cycling for me is by far eclipsed by close passes at 50+ mph. It's simply not worth the risk.
I use this website to plan which roads to take in an unfamiliar area.  It's the National Cycle Route network, and seems to cover other countries too. I really like the iPhone app. There is always a country lane alternative, even if circuitous. 

Cyclestreets.net

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/cyclestreets-journey-planner/

Hope you find some good routes and enjoy it!

Judge dreadful | 4 years ago
0 likes

look at the British cycling let's ride site. www.Letsride.co.uk

and look for guided rides in your locale. There will likely be rides using quiet / traffic free routes that you never even realised existed. You'll be with a group, with a qualified ride leader.

Shades | 4 years ago
0 likes

Cyclestreets and Komoot are good route planner websites; I generally steer well clear of A roads (sadly for the usual reasons) unless its a stretch I'm used to and happy with.  I'm content to take the longer route if it means my ride/commute is more enjoyable.

Tom_77 | 4 years ago
1 like

Latest Comments