Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Bike transportation - Diesel vans and clean air zones

I've had a VW Transporter as a mobile 'toy shed' for for 13 years; bikes, surfboards, windsurfers etc which i also use as my regular vehicle (ie when I'm not off having fun, although I also do use it for a part drive/park cycle commute). I live on the border of a clean air zone (CAZ) and pre-Euro 6 diesel vans are being targeted (not diesel cars - sore point with me). The van is in excellent condition (low mileage) but I'm going to be almost trapped by the CAZ so it'll have to go (and it is a polluting vehicle), although I still want to stick with a van. If I was well outside the CAZ I could have 'modified my behavior' and stuck with my existing van until it needed replacing. A Euro 6 van is the easy option, accepting that there is a risk that Euro 6 will be deemed 'bad' in the not too distant future but there may well be other van options by then. Electric vans aren't far away (within a year for VW) but the limited range is a non-starter for me. An additional runabout car (reduce reliance on the van) seems excessive and parking is limited for me. VW did a petrol transporter a few years ago but there aren't many 2nd hand ones, especially in the spec you're after. The council have said there will be grants/0% loans to assist people change affected vehicles (good if it happens). Anyone else in this situation?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

1 comments

Dangerous Dan | 4 years ago
0 likes

Not in your situation.  I have been seen driving around in a Jag with lumber sticking out the sunroof.  I have considered an older van/pickup.  Where I live there are no restrictions on diesel or petrol in the forseeable future, but for a rarely used short distance vehicle, electric would be good.

Ford used to sell an electric Transit here in the good ol'e USA.  Were they available in the UK?  ANd I have read that they will have a new design out in 2021-2023.  The range was something in the area of 90 kilometers, or maybe 10 on a cold winter day.

Latest Comments