Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Advice for 27.5" (650b) Tyres

I'm eyeing either the Schwalbe Thunder Burt Addix Speed Snakeskin or the Maxxis Icon.
What I'm after is a basically "gravel" style tyre in 2.10" width. Fast and lightweight (these are supposedly sub-500gr. ones).
Does anyone have some other tyres to suggets...?
Thanks!!

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

10 comments

Terence the Tractor | 4 years ago
0 likes

Have you looked at panaracer? The Comet Hard pack is a good tyre and is available in 2" or 2.2" and the gravelking sk is available up to 2.1" for 2020.

Do you really need enormous knobbly tyres for riding on road though?

Huckfinn replied to Terence the Tractor | 4 years ago
0 likes

Thanks. That's in fact what I have on my gravel bike! But I can't find them in 27.5x2" or 2.1"....! I see them on their website but no one seems to sell them...?

Terence the Tractor replied to Huckfinn | 4 years ago
0 likes

The Comet you can get from wiggle. The gravel kings are new this year; so you might have to wait a while for them to make it past OEMs and onto the open market.

Huckfinn replied to Terence the Tractor | 4 years ago
0 likes

ok

thanks!

werics | 4 years ago
0 likes

RKs are in the mid-500s for an air quote 2.2 (650x54b). Dunno if that meets your requirements.

Huckfinn replied to werics | 4 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for that. I was looking for something more "gravelly" and less mtb. My wife (who'll be using them) rarely goes off road......

werics replied to Huckfinn | 4 years ago
0 likes

All right, now I'm intrigued. Why so wide then? To preserve geometry? Accumulation of marginal comfort gains?

Huckfinn replied to werics | 4 years ago
1 like

Ha! Well...mostly aesthetics..? She has Racing Ralph 2.25" on at the moment. Bike looks cool but I reckon it's an overkill for what my wife uses the bike for.. Thought of going for gravel tyres (which is what we both like to do). Except the bike would look quite ridiculous with something below 2.1" tyre wise...

ktache replied to Huckfinn | 4 years ago
0 likes

The G-one is available in 2.25, much more road, meant to be very fast, a lot less "rugged" than the racing ralph.  Same comfort though.

Huckfinn replied to ktache | 4 years ago
0 likes

Great! Thanks for that!!

Latest Comments