Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Advice re GoPro

I'm looking to buy a GoPro for everyday usage and for trips abroad. My son will also use it when he goes diving.

I've looked at the different web sites that explain the features etc but advice from the people who use them regularly is, in my opinion, better than review sites.

So which one would people recommend, cheers.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

6 comments

Shades | 4 years ago
0 likes

My GoPro is pretty old (5 yrs) but still going strong; great footage.  I use a K-Edge mount and it sits upside down in front of the bars.  Battery life isn't great (2 hrs max) so I'm used to reaching down and turning it on/off for interesting bits of the ride; masses of editing still needed though.  The mounting options for GoPros are endless; had a rucksack strap clip for a ride through India and got excellent footage to make a short film.  Early on I did mount it upright on my bars and (assume it was from 'flexing' as the bike went over bumps) part of the plastic mount snapped; camera and case took a ride across the tarmac with no damage.

Freddy56 | 4 years ago
1 like

I did all the research just before christmas. borrowed friends hero 5 black 7 black and the new 8.

massive difference with the 7, super smooth - even when direct mounted on the bars- zero jarring and smooth(hypersmooth)video. the 8 was no better and £120 more, so bought the 7...and a spare battery.

ibr17xvii | 4 years ago
1 like

I have a Hero 2018 which does the job fine. Image quality is good & they're easy to use. 

As with pretty much all action cameras though the battery life is horrible. I can just about get 2 hours out of it so it means carrying spares on a longer ride which isn't ideal but the alternatives are few & far between.

Tom_77 | 4 years ago
1 like

For general use the GoPro Hero (2018) should be good enough. It'll do 1080p60, you probably wouldn't need anything better than that.

Other option would be a GoPro 7 Black. It'll do 4K or 1080p240 (good for slo-mo stuff). Also has GPS for doing speed overlays. It's not that much more, but if you wouldn't actually use the extra features there's no point spending the extra money.

I'd avoid any of the models with a built in battery. Also make sure you get a decent SD card for it.

Stumps replied to Tom_77 | 4 years ago
0 likes

Got a Hero (2018) and so far its been mint, thank for the advice. 

Mr Pennington | 4 years ago
1 like

It's simple but also depends how much you're willing to spend: $330, $400 or $500. If you want high def 1080p and diving depth of 8x slo-mo, 33ft diving depth and 100 Mbps bit rate then it's the Hero8. For cycling the Hero7 or Hero8 have mounts readily available plus their footprint is smaller than the Max.

Latest Comments