Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Lol, a parking enforcement officer ticketed a bicycle

https://twitter.com/GaryRidgeway/status/1217499870069764096

I saw this on Twitter.  Either we're being trolled or someone really was stupid enough to ticket a bicycle that's no more blocking the highway than the tables and chairs it was placed behind.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

10 comments

fenix | 4 years ago
1 like

The OP on twitter eventually confirmed it was a joke.  Apparently his mate was always holding them up leaving places with faffing - so they asked the parking lady to put a sticker on his bike. 

John Smith | 4 years ago
0 likes

I would be supprised if the ticket machines even let a ticket be printed without a reg number.

Hirsute replied to John Smith | 4 years ago
2 likes
John Smith wrote:

I would be supprised if the ticket machines even let a ticket be printed without a reg number.

B1KE N+1

Xenophon2 | 4 years ago
0 likes

Out of curiosity:  from what stage can they decide to remove a vehicle or put a clamp/lock on it?  In Belgium police have to order that, not the rent-a-cops. 

But they do on occasion remove bicycles that are obstructing e.g. a sidewalk.  When you get there, all there is, is a sticker on the ground stating 'Bicycle removed on police order, phone.....'.  And you only get it back after paying a handsome ransom (and being able to describe the bike or prove ownership).

Hirsute replied to Xenophon2 | 4 years ago
0 likes

Xenophon2 wrote:

Out of curiosity:  from what stage can they decide to remove a vehicle or put a clamp/lock on it?  In Belgium police have to order that, not the rent-a-cops. 

But they do on occasion remove bicycles that are obstructing e.g. a sidewalk.  When you get there, all there is, is a sticker on the ground stating 'Bicycle removed on police order, phone.....'.  And you only get it back after paying a handsome ransom (and being able to describe the bike or prove ownership).

In the UK, you have to be a local authority or police or dvla.

Some London boroughs will remove vehicles which are causing an obstruction.

The dval will clamp and remove vehicles for non payment of ved. 

Police will remove vehicles with no insurance.

peted76 | 4 years ago
0 likes

It could be used as an argument for licensing bikes.. I think we best just keep quiet on this one. Nothing to see here.

hawkinspeter replied to peted76 | 4 years ago
0 likes

peted76 wrote:

It could be used as an argument for licensing bikes.. I think we best just keep quiet on this one. Nothing to see here.

We could employ some licensing enforcement officers to go around and ticket the bikes that aren't licensed.

Hirsute replied to peted76 | 4 years ago
1 like

peted76 wrote:

The last review (2 years ago ?) said it won't happen

Though assume you are jesting.

Hirsute | 4 years ago
0 likes

Surely they must know one another and it was a joke ?

hawkinspeter | 4 years ago
1 like

As stated on that thread - it's unenforceable. They can go around putting parking tickets on bikes, tables, chairs, trees etc. but it's just a waste of time and paper.

Latest Comments