Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Getting Bike in Skoda Octavia Estate

Hi all,

I'm in the market a new bicycle transporter - my current one is falling apart and won't pass it's MOT...

Long story short, the Skoda Octavia Estate suits all my needs, one major requirement being the bike must fit in the rear without removing either of the bikes wheels.

Just wondering if anyone owns an octavia estate and can let me know if they can fit a bike in the boot (with the rear seats folded) or can give me those dimensions?

Thanks all!

I am also aware there are.many alternative ways of transporting a bike and I could just talk the wheel off, however, with thru axles and hydraulic brakes I've more than once made the mistake of forgetting my thru axle or accidentally squeezing the brake lever and messing the brakes up - hence the both wheels on requirement.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

14 comments

Blue_Brevatto | 4 years ago
0 likes

It'll fit. I've put a touring bike in ours OK. But depending on bike weight / your height it's not an easy lift as you have to hold it horizontal as you lean in. It's much easier if your support crew can open one of the passenger doors and grab the front wheel/fork as you lean in. And like someone else said - in this weather you WILL mark the interior - but if you're buying an estate you're buying a tool not an ornament.

PS. Let me just add. Generally the car's been great but specifically on the boot the one slight niggle is that the entrance has a raised lower lip (1-2") - some cars have a completely flat opening which does help sliding things in and out.

kil0ran | 4 years ago
0 likes

Should add - if you run a lot of seat post just check the clearance between the suspension mounts as depending on position/car they can be in just the wrong place and cause problems. Lots of modern estates have intrusive suspension because the market seems to demand full strut independent multilink suspension when it isn't really necessary on a barge. My Mondeo doesn't have it and is one of the best handling mass-market estates ever built. 

kil0ran | 4 years ago
0 likes

That should work fine. I had a Passat estate when I was commuting and my 56cm bikes went in no problem with the seats down and mudguards fitted. Plus I'm 6 foot so my drivers seat was a fair way back.

Used to get the same bikes in a Mk4 Golf hatch but that required the front wheel to be propped at an angle against the back of my seat, no big issue.

When loading the bike make sure you lay it drive side up to protect the rear mech. Oh and turn your lights off before you drive off.

Support srchar's comment re Mondeos - cheap as chips to buy and run, massive, and the Ghia X or Titanium X versions have trim levels to rival anything a German manufacturer turns out. Leather, heated and cooling seats, premium audio, and an invention that's probably saved countless cyclists lives - quick clear front screens.

Daveyraveygravey | 4 years ago
0 likes

I had a MkII Octavia hatch, and my Propel would go in easy as with the back seats dropped down.   I'm 6 foot so it isn't a small bike either.

If I take both wheels off, I can get the bike and wheels in the boot without dropping the seats, and still carry 5 people.  I've bought a bag to put the frame in and keep the chain from oiling up everything it comes into contact with.

srchar | 4 years ago
0 likes

Octavia was my preference when we bought our Golf, but it was hard enough to convince Mrs Srchar that we should buy an estate (or "old man car"), let alone a Skoda. She's an estate convert now though.

Happy car shopping C48! Dunno what your budget is, but look at Mondeos too. They're massive, cheap, and the Fords I've owned have had fewer issues than the VW.

Canyon48 replied to srchar | 4 years ago
1 like

srchar wrote:

Octavia was my preference when we bought our Golf, but it was hard enough to convince Mrs Srchar that we should buy an estate (or "old man car"), let alone a Skoda. She's an estate convert now though.

Haha, I did initially have trouble convincing my better half - particularly as I'm still in my early twenties!

However, once I explained that it would be excellent for loading up with bikes and gear for when we go camping, she was soon converted to the idea.

Anyway, I am now the new owner of a Skoda Octavia estate - regarding ease of carrying a bike - the cavernous boot swallows my (medium frame) Whyte Wessex, with mudguards and both wheels attached, with plenty of room to spare. Luckily enough, my Skoda also came with Thule aero roof bars...

I would highly recommend for any cyclist looking for a super practical car!

Canyon48 | 4 years ago
0 likes

Cheers all!

I ride a medium frame (disc brake though so the wheelbase is a few mm longer), sounds like it should fit.

The boot space with seats folded is over 1900mm long and over 1000mm wide. My bike is 1000mm tall and just under 1700mm long.

Off to do some car shopping I think!

melliott | 4 years ago
0 likes

I've got a mkII Octavia estate, and can easily get my XL-sized bikes into the boot with wheels on when I drop the back seats (not fully flat, just the backrest). There is a trick of getting it in by angling the wheels to one side and roll/sliding it in. Fits easily. I've managed to lay a friend's bike on top (carefully) too. And there is still room to put the kids' bikes and kit around the edges.

I've never tried to fit the bike in without removing the wheels with the backrests up as I use a towbar mounted bike rack. If I drop my seat post and remove the front wheel, I can get it in though.

Those Octavias are great; I'd like a newer car, but this just keeps going - it's more environmental to not buy new too.

Kapelmuur | 4 years ago
0 likes

I get my medium sized bike into the boot of my Octavia hatch without removing the wheels.

stomec replied to Kapelmuur | 4 years ago
0 likes

Kapelmuur wrote:

I get my medium sized bike into the boot of my Octavia hatch without removing the wheels.

likewise with a medium/large. Boot space is massive. Look for one with the variable boot floor. 

Dingaling | 4 years ago
0 likes

My daughter's Kia c'eed takes her 28" wheel bike with the wheels still in.

srchar | 4 years ago
1 like

I have a Golf estate which is basically the same car - in fact, I think the Golf has a marginally smaller boot than the Octavia.

The answer is - it depends how big the bike is. I'm 6'3 and ride large frames - I can get a bike in with both wheels on, but it's a bit of a wrestle and I have marked the headlining and C pillar trims. It's much easier if I remove either the front wheel or the seatpost.

On a related note, the Golf took me and two mates, plus bikes and gear, for a fortnight in the Dolomites. Bikes were sans front wheels and seatposts, mounted to a sheet of ply using fork clamps - by doing this, all three bikes fitted in the car with only one half of the rear seat folded, leaving room for someone to sit in the back and half a boot's worth of luggage space.

Pyro Tim replied to srchar | 4 years ago
0 likes
srchar wrote:

I have a Golf estate which is basically the same car - in fact, I think the Golf has a marginally smaller boot than the Octavia.

The answer is - it depends how big the bike is. I'm 6'3 and ride large frames - I can get a bike in with both wheels on, but it's a bit of a wrestle and I have marked the headlining and C pillar trims. It's much easier if I remove either the front wheel or the seatpost.

On a related note, the Golf took me and two mates, plus bikes and gear, for a fortnight in the Dolomites. Bikes were sans front wheels and seatposts, mounted to a sheet of ply using fork clamps - by doing this, all three bikes fitted in the car with only one half of the rear seat folded, leaving room for someone to sit in the back and half a boot's worth of luggage space.

The Octavia is much bigger internally than the golf. Both in leg room for rear passengers and boot space.

Thatsnotmyname | 4 years ago
0 likes

I borrowed one once, for a bike-related trip.  I dropped the front wheel out, which makes life much easier.  The bike went in very easily.  Removing the front wheel and fitting a pad divider would be the way forward imo.

Latest Comments