Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Rear lights

Hi all,

Having just had 2 more Knog blinder lights succumb to water and give up I am in the market for replacements. Particularly a rear light. Ideally looking for something that can be saddle mounted as well as post to make it easier to switch between bikes. Goes without saying it needs to be bright, but, as recent experience has taught me, needs to be waterproof also.

I have a Giant Aero light but none of my current bikes have an aero post (R.I.P. Propel) so it doesn't sit quite right. 

What's everyone using? What do people suggest? At the moment I don't really have a budget, just looking for opinions and first-hand experience.

(before anyone says it; yes I've googled, yes I've read reviews, just looking to see what this community suggests)

Thanks in advance!

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

7 comments

longassballs | 4 years ago
0 likes

Bontrager Flare died on my first ride with it last winter after 30 mins rain. The design seemed very susceptible to water ingress but maybe I was unlucky if others have a positive experience.

I replaced it with a NiteRider Sentry Aero 260. Very bright, great all round visibility, average battery life, straps for either aero or round posts. I would recommend it however I'm not sure how waterproof it is. I don't commute and only cycle in the rain if I get caught in it. I have cycled in the rain and it's kept it out but it wasn't torrential. Its charging port is on the bottom behind a rubber bung. On Xmas day either the bung came loose on a very wet (sitting water) ride or during a quick hose down post ride. It was filled with water but a week in rice on the radiator it's back working fine. I don't know whether to stick it on upside down with the power button facing down as I think road spray may be worse than rain

Cyclolotl | 4 years ago
1 like

Thanks for the recommendations all, I've found a solid deal on the Moon Nebula so thinking I'll get one of those. 

I've thought about cameras, but in the 7-8 years that I've been "properly" into road cycling I've only regretted not having one maybe 3 times, just doesn't seem worth it for the current cost.

hawkinspeter | 4 years ago
1 like

I'd give a shout out to the Cycliq Fly6 - nice and bright and easy enough to fit to other bikes (if you can get another mount) and of course a decent camera. Probably not as robust as a dedicated rear light and not as cheap to replace if/when it does break, but I'm a fan of cyclists using cameras in order to keep motorists behaving themselves.

Run BMC | 4 years ago
1 like

+1 for Exposure lights.  I can also highly recommend the Moon Comet X Pro, which comes with saddle and post mounts included.  Super bright and great battery life.  Or you could try the Cateye Rapid X3 which is equally as good.  If you have a Fizik saddle you can buy a mount which allows it to slot into the rear of the saddle.  

Cdl888 | 4 years ago
1 like

Bontrager Flare are very good... cheap, mega bright and battery life great.

Exposure lights are first clas if you are willing to pay a bit more.

jaysa replied to Cdl888 | 4 years ago
0 likes

Cdl888 wrote:

Bontrager Flare are very good... cheap, mega bright and battery life great.

^^ this

ktache | 4 years ago
2 likes

I cannot praise the Hope District+ enough, only rear light I've used for the past 6 years.  The cable dies a bit, even with careful handleing, but Hope didn't charge me in the first 5 years.   Incredible bracket, alloy work of art, and I noticed they do a rubber band thing too.

Exposure do a saddle mount as well as various seat post brackets.  Excellent lights too.

I'm going to get a Moon Nebula for the seat stay, and that is meant to come with many mounting options.

Latest Comments