Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Majorca - First time trip advice

Hi all,

Myself and 5 friends are planning a tip to Majorca in April, none of us have been before and all keen ameture/intermediate cyclists. 

Would like to know from others experience on the better areas to stay, whats the requirement/liklihood of travelling around the island for different routes - is car hire required? places to hire bikes, travel insurance and whether we need anything specific for a cycling holiday? 

Any things to avoid and any must do's?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

18 comments

Bilmocraig | 1 year ago
0 likes

I bet you didn’t manage to get there, am I right? This COVID killed all the fun and changed the world forever.
Something is clearly going on, but the restrictions are mostly gone now, and I feel good about it. At least I do not have to wear a mask everywhere and can go abroad without restrictions. This disease killed me so many nerves because I had to travel to Norway last year, and crossing the borders was tough. Fortunately, most countries had special conditions for transit travel, and I did not have to have a test everywhere. I had to travel by https://www.dbauskunft.net/de/ train, and I had to show my documents at every border. It was annoying, but fortunately, they let me in.

Chris Hayes | 4 years ago
0 likes

Soller: Jumeriah if you can stretch to it, but there are other more reasonable hotels.  There's a back-route to the Puig Major for heading north and the coast road through Deja is a delight.  Used to wonder why Rupert Graves moved there when I was a child reading his books.  Now I get it.  Don't think he was a cyclist though...

shutuplegz | 4 years ago
0 likes

Whilst Pollensa/Alcudia are the best known bases for cycling breaks, when staying up there I quite quickly found I ran out of routes, unless you want to do big miles (I don't as I usually go when its 30+C so about 60 miles is enough for me). Once you have done the well known climbs you might struggle for variety unless you also want some easy days along the coast or inland.

For value-for-money in terms of climbing and different routes I prefer the South West of the island. Quite often the weather is better down there than further east/north and there is such a variety of climbs and routes - Col de Sa Creu, Puigpunyent, Es Grau, Gallilea, Col de Soller or combinations thereof, plus others a bit further on. None of these might be as high as Puig Major or as spectacular as Sa Calobra or Formentor (though the coast road from Banyalbufar to Andratx certainly is), they are usually dead quiet with pretty much zero traffic.

As others have said, drivers, even in the busier areas, are generally considerate and give you plenty of space. The worst two 'close pass' incidents I've had over there involved british registered cars!

There are lots of cycle hire places around and some deliver to hotels all over the island. I'd recommend taking your own personal attire including helmet and shoes, plus some basic spares or your preferred saddle bag or carrying method including your preferred snacks, drink tabs etc. The hire places usually provide you with something but it might not be the best or what you usually like to use. I also take my own bottles too. I'd recommend a good travel insurance policy. Road cycling isnt normally treated as a 'high risk' activity, unlike mountain biking, but it can obviously still be quite risky, particularly when unfamiliar roads, hairpin bends and smooth tarmac are involved!

paslemeilleur | 4 years ago
0 likes

Playa de Palma seems underrated or unfashionable:

Only 10 -15 minutes from the airport on the local bus - we got fed up of the additional transfer/ journey out to the Pollenca area.

Many hire options - Golden Playa hotel had immaculate bikes and good prices.

Plenty scope for routes: into the Tramuntana on the west side via the Col de sa Creu, Andratx and Deia round to Soller is truly gorgeous. Then you can do the Coll de Soller and all the hairpins (ascent & descent) back to Palma.

Puig Major and Sa Calobra are easily in reach too, on the eastern appoach through Santa Maria del Cami, Lloseta, Selva and the Coll de sa Batalla (lovely climb).

Over to the east, climbs to three monasteries - Cura, Bonany and San Salvador are also highly recommended: beautiful in their own right, and can be combined into one loop. The cafe at the top of Cura is not to be missed.

The Coll d'Honor climbing from Bunyola and descending into Alaro is another memorable option.

If you've enough of hills, there's a beach cycle path into Palma city, or, out east into the almond trees & lanes towards Cala Pi is fine.

The island has a lot of signed cycle routes (look for the wooden signposts), and Mallorcan drivers, in our experience, have been considerate & relaxed.

We use the Kompass map of Mallorca 1 : 75000

kil0ran | 4 years ago
0 likes

Early morning ride to Cap Formentor is best - but in April you'll be setting off in arm warmers.

If you've got a trainer and want to see what it's like it's on Rouvy & RGT

Rakkor replied to kil0ran | 4 years ago
1 like

kil0ran wrote:

Early morning ride to Cap Formentor is best - but in April you'll be setting off in arm warmers.

And take lights because hitting the tunnel on the way back down is scary as fuck going from bright sunshine to pitch black at speed.

Luv2ride replied to Rakkor | 4 years ago
0 likes

Rakkor wrote:

kil0ran wrote:

And take lights because hitting the tunnel on the way back down is scary as fuck going from bright sunshine to pitch black at speed.

^this.  Last few times I've gone to Mallorca I've heard of nasty accidents in the tunnel at Formentor with riders simply colliding with the wall as had no lights.  Hopefully you'll be luckier in April, but last two trips were in October and weather had been iffy, with a "hurricane" hitting the island just before we arrived.  The bike hire people warned me about all the pine needles this had put all over the hairpin bends on some of the climbs - this apparently caught a load of customers out when descending, as "were like riding in ice" they said!

Weather was ok whilst there and still a brill place to ride a bike...

srchar | 4 years ago
0 likes

When in April are you going over? The 312 is on the last weekend, if organised rides float your boat. It's a big day out, but the triple century is quite a milestone and the route means you could easily bail out ⅔ of the way round if the legs aren't there.

Jem PT | 4 years ago
0 likes

I've been twice, both times we stayed in Zafira Hotel in Allcudia, just along the bay from Pollensa. Depending on your flight times, a hired car may well be cheaper than a taxi to get to/from the airport - at least that's what we found. Our hotel had a German outfit renting decent Rose bikes of all types, but you will be best reserving in advance. 

The motorists are surprising tolerant of cyclists, given the numbers on the road - indeed when we drove back to the airport via Port Soller for a bit of sight-seeing we made slower progress than anticpated ... because of all the bloody cyclists!!

Cap Formentor is a must do, even for amateurs, although the lighthouse can get busy with traffic. Spectacular roads/scenery - It's not a national park for nothing. Sa Colabra might be more of a challenge! 

Fluffed | 4 years ago
0 likes

I go Can Pastilla about 5 mins from the airport, its more a seaside town than a bike place but there are at least 3 bike orientated hotels and a couple of good bike hire places. You can get to anywhere on the island pretty much, but its a long day if you fancy a trip to Cap Formentor and back.  One thing I'd say is plan your routes before you go, there a lot of really nice stretches of empty backroads but without planning you would probably miss them.

SellMatt | 4 years ago
0 likes

Been so many times to Mallorca its embarrassing but the best spot is Port Soller. Stay in Hotel Eden or Marina Spa hire your bikes from Tramuntana tours and off you go. No need to hire a car. Great resort full of bars and restaurants and fewer cyclists. Access to all of Tramuntana delights both north and south although Formentor will be a trek but as stated Mallorca cycle shuttle is a good option. If you want the buzz of being surrounded by many cyclists and clubs tours with easier access to Sa Calobra and Formentor then Pollenca area is for you. South of Port Soller around Puigpunyent, Banyalbufar and the Orient Valley is a joy and you can still get to Sa Calobra. There are 3 ways out of Port Soller and all uphill and not a lot of flat so every day bites. The safe decision is to go to Pollenca the correct decision is to base yourself in Port Soller.

MrB123 replied to SellMatt | 4 years ago
0 likes
SellMatt wrote:

Been so many times to Mallorca its embarrassing but the best spot is Port Soller. Stay in Hotel Eden or Marina Spa hire your bikes from Tramuntana tours and off you go. No need to hire a car. Great resort full of bars and restaurants and fewer cyclists. Access to all of Tramuntana delights both north and south although Formentor will be a trek but as stated Mallorca cycle shuttle is a good option. If you want the buzz of being surrounded by many cyclists and clubs tours with easier access to Sa Calobra and Formentor then Pollenca area is for you. South of Port Soller around Puigpunyent, Banyalbufar and the Orient Valley is a joy and you can still get to Sa Calobra. There are 3 ways out of Port Soller and all uphill and not a lot of flat so every day bites. The safe decision is to go to Pollenca the correct decision is to base yourself in Port Soller.

Plus one for all of this.

Mungecrundle | 4 years ago
0 likes

Our club has used Stuart Hall based out of the Playa Mar hotel in Port Pollensa for the last 3 years. Decent food, bike hire, airport transfers, guided rides if you want them. No complaints from us.

I found the roads to be excellent in comparison to the UK, and drivers are mostly very aware of cyclists. I even had cars indicating and pulling over to allow me past on some of the downhill sections.

kil0ran | 4 years ago
1 like

Alcudia is cheaper than Pollensa potentially, but Pollensa is where it's at

+1 for Tolo's - I remember when it wasn't bike mecca, and obviously now it's even better. Legendary whole shoulder of lamb dish among others. Pollensa town itself is a good option, particularly on market day.

Parking can be a bit of an issue, particularly as there are six of you which would mean a big MPV, or two cars. I'd just take a transfer - airport is less than an hour away. There's plenty in Puerto Pollensa to keep you occupied and both Alcudia and Pollensa town are short flat rides away. 

Just a word of warning on April - it can be cold and wet, certainly not guaranteed sunshine. I've been there in mid-April and it's been well south of ten degrees. 

Scottish Scrutineer | 4 years ago
1 like

Another recommendation for Hoposa Villa Concha, great hotel which wev've used 3 years. Two couples so we book a couple of apartments and have breakfasts in the apartments, with a choice of either eating in the hotel (not the best), cooking in the apartments, or eating out. Great location in the town, near the beach, but not noisy, 5-10 mins walk to a Supermarket for provisions.

Cycle hire on-site, or we've used the Pinarello Experience, which is close by (and not as expensive as you'd expect). Loads of routes from Puerto Pollenca, from flat coatal routes to Pollenca and Alcudia, to longer challenging routes of 100+Km. Lost of cafe places aout for decent coffee and lunches.

Have a look at Mallorca Cycle Shuttle for longer rides with a bus out and cycle back, or cycle out and bus back.

We don't bother with hire car as we tend to cycle most days. Jet2.com do holiday packages which includes transfers to the hotel.

Eating out, you have to do Tollos, an for a special treat have the Menu of the Day at La LLonca next to the old harbour. Top notch dining at decent price.

Enjoy

tlister replied to Scottish Scrutineer | 4 years ago
0 likes

Scottish Scrutineer wrote:

Another recommendation for Hoposa Villa Concha, great hotel which wev've used 3 years. Two couples so we book a couple of apartments and have breakfasts in the apartments, with a choice of either eating in the hotel (not the best), cooking in the apartments, or eating out. Great location in the town, near the beach, but not noisy, 5-10 mins walk to a Supermarket for provisions.

Cycle hire on-site, or we've used the Pinarello Experience, which is close by (and not as expensive as you'd expect). Loads of routes from Puerto Pollenca, from flat coatal routes to Pollenca and Alcudia, to longer challenging routes of 100+Km. Lost of cafe places aout for decent coffee and lunches.

Have a look at Mallorca Cycle Shuttle for longer rides with a bus out and cycle back, or cycle out and bus back.

We don't bother with hire car as we tend to cycle most days. Jet2.com do holiday packages which includes transfers to the hotel.

Eating out, you have to do Tollos, an for a special treat have the Menu of the Day at La LLonca next to the old harbour. Top notch dining at decent price.

Enjoy

Fantastic, thanks for your reply! 

srchar | 4 years ago
1 like

I've stayed at the Hoposa Villa Concha in Port de Pollensa twice now. It markets itself as a sport hotel and has onsite bike rental (decent Bianchis), a full size lane swimming pool and a half decent gym. There are loads of decent places to eat nearby and some great riding on the doorstep - you're close to Formentor and it's not far to the start of the climb up the Puig Major, from which you can detour to Sa Calobra. There are plenty of towns and villages dotted around for mid-ride coffee stops too.

I assume you are all reasonably fit cyclists and that rides of 100+km aren't a problem? In which case, you don't *need* a car, but if there are a few of you, it'll work out cheaper to hire a car or two than it will to pay for airport transfers. Plus, you'll have use of the car while you're there, should you need it; you might not want to ride every day and it's nice to have the option of driving out to Palma or somewhere in the south.

tlister replied to srchar | 4 years ago
0 likes

srchar wrote:

I've stayed at the Hoposa Villa Concha in Port de Pollensa twice now. It markets itself as a sport hotel and has onsite bike rental (decent Bianchis), a full size lane swimming pool and a half decent gym. There are loads of decent places to eat nearby and some great riding on the doorstep - you're close to Formentor and it's not far to the start of the climb up the Puig Major, from which you can detour to Sa Calobra. There are plenty of towns and villages dotted around for mid-ride coffee stops too.

I assume you are all reasonably fit cyclists and that rides of 100+km aren't a problem? In which case, you don't *need* a car, but if there are a few of you, it'll work out cheaper to hire a car or two than it will to pay for airport transfers. Plus, you'll have use of the car while you're there, should you need it; you might not want to ride every day and it's nice to have the option of driving out to Palma or somewhere in the south.

Thanks for your reply, we are thinking of getting a Villa to be honest, will look where that Hotel is though for the area. 

Hopefully by April we will be back up to speed and 100km+ rides wont be to much of a problem. tbh, the thought of one at the minute doesnt fill me with confidence but after a few weeks with plenty of miles we should all be ok with that sort of distance.  

Thanks again

Tom

Latest Comments