Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Cassette and chain possible upgrade if worth it

I have a stock Cube Peloton 2011 model. Only upgrade has been saddle and wheels. Ive only had chain replaced and am now going to replace or upgrade the chain and rear cassette. According to the standard spec the rear cassette is Shimano CS-HG50 12-25T 9speed. The chsinset is Shamino FC-R453 octalink 50x39x30T integrated BBES25. The chain is Shamino CN-HG53 108links. When ive done the chain before ive not paid attention to the amount of links. Is this 108 important as i can only find them with 115?  Im happy with the triple setup. Just would like to know if there is a better ratio or better chain and cog model for not too much than just replacing the standard gear with the same again. Thank you in advance. 

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

14 comments

Pilot Pete | 4 years ago
0 likes

From the limited view in that photo the chainrings don’t look too bad - the outer appears fine and the inner looks most worn, the middle showing signs of wear too. For the cost posted earlier I would swap the inner and middle at the same time as you swap your chain and cassette so you should then be trouble free for many, many miles.

PP

wbutcheruk2 | 4 years ago
0 likes

I am going to change the rear cassette to 11-30t as i have a lot hils and a bail out cog sounds a good idea. Most people belive i can stick with my current rear derailluer. Or change to a Sora 3500. Is there any others i could change to?

0 likes

I degreaser clean and lube quite regularly to keep it running smooth. Hopefully pic attached for chainrings. They need a good clean after this weekends ride. 

cougie | 4 years ago
0 likes

Unless you do a huge mileage I doubt you've worn your chainring out. 

What's your cleaning routine like ? If you have a clean chain everything lasts a lot longer. 

Simon E | 4 years ago
0 likes

There are Shimano 39 tooth middle chainrings for £15 at SJS (black) or £12 (silver) while the inner 30T ring has a BCD of 74mm and is £10 at SJS (black). Other sellers will stock them but SJS are really good at providing compatibility information.

The Shimano Sora FC-3503 is a Hollowtech II 9 speed chainset that uses the same rings, as does the previous version FC-3403.  If you wanted to replace the chainset you would also need to buy the Hollowtech II bottom bracket, though it is not expensive. Both Octalink and HT2 BB and chainsets require specific tools to fit them.

When replacing the chain you should count the number of pins in the original chain and use a chain tool to remove links to get the same number on the replacement. However, if you also fit a bigger cassette you will probably need a chain with more links. A rule of thumb is to add 1 pin to your chain for every 2 extra teeth on the cassette.

11-30 is a good cassette and gives a really good range lower gears for hills. Do you have the Tiagra rear derailleur? This may work with 30 tooth cassette if you adjust the b-screw enough but a the Sora 3500 series derailleurs will work with a 32 tooth cassette with no issues. However, if 12-25 is working for you then what change it? (that's what I had on my 50/39/30 triple and is the most widely available 9 speed cassette out there).

wbutcheruk2 replied to Simon E | 4 years ago
1 like

Simon E wrote:

There are Shimano 39 tooth middle chainrings for £15 at SJS (black) or £12 (silver) while the inner 30T ring has a BCD of 74mm and is £10 at SJS (black). Other sellers will stock them but SJS are really good at providing compatibility information.

The Shimano Sora FC-3503 is a Hollowtech II 9 speed chainset that uses the same rings, as does the previous version FC-3403.  If you wanted to replace the chainset you would also need to buy the Hollowtech II bottom bracket, though it is not expensive. Both Octalink and HT2 BB and chainsets require specific tools to fit them.

When replacing the chain you should count the number of pins in the original chain and use a chain tool to remove links to get the same number on the replacement. However, if you also fit a bigger cassette you will probably need a chain with more links. A rule of thumb is to add 1 pin to your chain for every 2 extra teeth on the cassette.

11-30 is a good cassette and gives a really good range lower gears for hills. Do you have the Tiagra rear derailleur? This may work with 30 tooth cassette if you adjust the b-screw enough but a the Sora 3500 series derailleurs will work with a 32 tooth cassette with no issues. However, if 12-25 is working for you then what change it? (that's what I had on my 50/39/30 triple and is the most widely available 9 speed cassette out there).

im tempted to stick with what i have snd replace like for like. Thank you for all the posts very helpful and informative. 

ktache | 4 years ago
0 likes

You only really need to change the chainrings if they are  very sharp and pointy.

0 likes

My rear derailuer is shimano tiagra RD 4500GS could this use a 11-30t rear cassette?

CyclingInBeastMode replied to wbutcheruk2 | 4 years ago
0 likes

wbutcheruk2 wrote:

My rear derailuer is shimano tiagra RD 4500GS could this use a 11-30t rear cassette?

yes

ChasP replied to CyclingInBeastMode | 4 years ago
0 likes

CyclingInBeastMode wrote:

wbutcheruk2 wrote:

yes

Will need careful setup as only supposed to take 27t max, a new Sora mech would work better (new Tiagra not compatible) and probably worth doing considering the age and wear of the old one

kil0ran | 4 years ago
0 likes

What shifters do you have? I'm assuming they're 9-speed only which restricts your upgrade options a little - you can select from Sora components (https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/product/component/sora-r3000.html)

There is a wider range cassette available (11-30T) if you fancy having an easier bail-out gear but need to double check that your rear mech can handle it (looks like it's fine for the latest version of Sora, but not might be the case for your 2011 spec mech). Cassette and mech change would be around £50 for parts plus your time to fit it.

You should be able to get a replacement ring for your chainset, but there's also the option to upgrade to the current Sora triple. Would also need a new BB I'd imagine (and if not, worth replacing anyway). £70 for chainset and BB, particularly if you can wait and pick up a nearly new on eBay. It's new bike/winter build season and so you'll find a load of Sora parts stripped off brand new bikes for sale. For example £43 for a complete ringset here (and they'll sell you the middle ring on it's own if you want it) - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Shimano-Sora-3503-Chainrings-Triple-Speed-30T...

I reckon you could replace the entire drivetrain for around £120 if you're not in a hurry and can do the work yourself. 

wbutcheruk2 replied to kil0ran | 4 years ago
0 likes

kil0ran wrote:

What shifters do you have? I'm assuming they're 9-speed only which restricts your upgrade options a little - you can select from Sora components (https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/product/component/sora-r3000.html)

There is a wider range cassette available (11-30T) if you fancy having an easier bail-out gear but need to double check that your rear mech can handle it (looks like it's fine for the latest version of Sora, but not might be the case for your 2011 spec mech). Cassette and mech change would be around £50 for parts plus your time to fit it.

You should be able to get a replacement ring for your chainset, but there's also the option to upgrade to the current Sora triple. Would also need a new BB I'd imagine (and if not, worth replacing anyway). £70 for chainset and BB, particularly if you can wait and pick up a nearly new on eBay. It's new bike/winter build season and so you'll find a load of Sora parts stripped off brand new bikes for sale. For example £43 for a complete ringset here (and they'll sell you the middle ring on it's own if you want it) - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Shimano-Sora-3503-Chainrings-Triple-Speed-30T...

I reckon you could replace the entire drivetrain for around £120 if you're not in a hurry and can do the work yourself. 

yes my shifters are 9 speed. I'll most likely replace resr cassette, chain and small and middle chain rings. Thanks for the pointers everyone. 

Xenophon2 | 4 years ago
1 like

Why do you feel you need to swap out the chain and cassette (any other reason than wear, that is)?  Forget about significant performance gains.  Rule 1: if it ain't broke, don't try to fix it.

The chain that you mention is sold stock with 114, 116 or 118 links but needs to be shortened to the correct size, depending on your setup.  This needs to be checked on the bike and you need a simple tool.  If you want to change it, any 9-speed chain will work just fine.  Personally I like the Connex chains by Wippermann, they come with a very convenienty quick link.

To change cassettes you'll need some tools.  If you don't want to invest time and money in this, better to go to your LBS and have them sort it. 

wbutcheruk2 replied to Xenophon2 | 4 years ago
0 likes

Xenophon2 wrote:

Why do you feel you need to swap out the chain and cassette (any other reason than wear, that is)?  Forget about significant performance gains.  Rule 1: if it ain't broke, don't try to fix it.

The chain that you mention is sold stock with 114, 116 or 118 links but needs to be shortened to the correct size, depending on your setup.  This needs to be checked on the bike and you need a simple tool.  If you want to change it, any 9-speed chain will work just fine.  Personally I like the Connex chains by Wippermann, they come with a very convenienty quick link.

To change cassettes you'll need some tools.  If you don't want to invest time and money in this, better to go to your LBS and have them sort it. 

hi. My chain needs replacing as its worn and the rear cassette has never been changed nor the chain rings. I use the middle chainring alot when i commute to work so thought it might be worth replacing this too. I have the tools for the chain and cassette so happy with that. I was just thinking if im replacing it all it might be worth an upgrade. Im wuite happy with the stock items but do get the odd skip on the middle chainring under load up hill. So think this needs doing. 

Latest Comments