Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Cleat covers

Got a pair of cleat covers for Christmas, they sound like a good idea in theory but also like a bit of a faff and just another thing to add to the tedious routine of locking the bike and removing equipment.

I do have a couple of hundred metres to walk to the office after locking up my bike which does wear out the cleats pretty quickly.

Anybody tried s using these?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

10 comments

vinny666 | 4 years ago
0 likes

After nearly breaking my neck walking down a ramp in the office carpark in my cycling shoes I always use covers now. I sometimes forget to take them off as I set off on my way home so have to stop to take them off but it worth it to be able to walk in my shoes. 

MartyMcCann | 4 years ago
0 likes

I have used my SPD-SL covers for years- they are great. As well as meaning I only need to replace my cleats about once a year, they also come into their own  providing some grip on wooden or tiled floors and make walking easier if mechanical disaster strikes!

paul_the_pedaller | 4 years ago
0 likes

Yep, used them for years.  Stops chuffing up your cleats and slipping on your backside!  Keeps crud out of the pedals as well which can only be a good thing.

cyclefaster | 4 years ago
0 likes

I think I'll definitely give them a go. I've thought about trying mtb pedals and shoes but didnt want to spend the money or have to swap them over as I only have the one usable bike (the old one is on the turbo).

alansmurphy replied to cyclefaster | 4 years ago
0 likes

cyclefaster wrote:

I think I'll definitely give them a go. I've thought about trying mtb pedals and shoes but didnt want to spend the money or have to swap them over as I only have the one usable bike (the old one is on the turbo).

Ditch the covers and buy a new bike... or two just to be safe...

SilverBugle | 4 years ago
2 likes

Have you considered using SPD pedals and MTB or touring shoes for your commuting?

Donaldp | 4 years ago
0 likes

Another vote vote for the covers.

ive got 100m or so from the office to the work bike shed and just leave them there when I ride off.

the definitely let the cleats last longer.

BrokenBootneck | 4 years ago
0 likes

I used to get through 3-4 pairs of spd-sl's cleats on my commuter per year. That went down to one a year with clear covers. 

AllegedlyAnthony | 4 years ago
0 likes

Yup, I've got a pair that save me a fortune in replacement cleats. They don't take up much space in the pocket, and you very quickly get used to slipping them on and off.

srchar | 4 years ago
0 likes

Yes. I also have a short walk from bike parking space to office and much prefer snapping cleat covers into place than replacing my cleats every few hundred km and/or potentially going arse over tit on an inoccuous piece of pavement.

Latest Comments