Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Advice on wheel upgrade

I currently ride a tarmac with Roval SLX 24 rims and DT Swiss 350 hubs.

I am looking to upgrade to fulcrum-racing-zero-c17-competizione or Shimano Dura Ace R9100 C40 Carbon Clincher. My question is whether either of the 2 mentioned above are a significantly noticeable upgrade On the Rovals and which set would perform better for 70- 100 mile rides with whatever hills I can find. thanks in advance of any advice.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

2 comments

CyclingInBeastMode | 4 years ago
1 like

Better Tyres, correct front/rear pressures, latex tubes

Will often add up to far more effort saved, get some some mid depth aero wheels with bladed spokes if you want to save a few more watts. 

E.g. handbuilt Aforce AL33 + DT 240s + cx-ray or aero litres will be £100 cheaper (£729) and be quicker and more serviceable.

bobbinogs | 4 years ago
1 like

I can't see any wheelset offering a significant upgrade over 'decent but not great' wheels. Let's face it, Zonda C17s offer much the same as the options quoted but cost £300. Whether one stumps up a grand on wheels or not usually depends on spending priorities...and if you ride in the UK it would be bonkers to buy decent wheels now in any case.
Keep the current wheels and ride them to death...your fitness will improve and that will give you the best bang for the buck, then buy the wheelset that you like the look of (just do a little research on the relative pros and cons of carbon/alu first). My summer wheels are Fulcrum Quattro and I think they look ace ☺

Latest Comments