Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

32mm front tyre for mountain descending

Hi everybody!
I have become a bit nervous descending due to some crashes last year, and I am going to do some riding in the mountains in the beginning of next year. I am considering going 32 mm in the front (corsa or gp5000) to improve control. Does it make any sense, or should I just lower the pressure on a 28? I still plan to use a 28mm on the rear. Any experiences?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

17 comments

Pub bike | 4 years ago
0 likes

Very well done!  I had 54.2 mph (87 km/h) down into Greis according to my computer.  That was on a fully loaded touring bike though (with 32 mm tyres!!) and pedalling very fast in top gear, so there was likely a lot of wind resistance.  After Timmelsjoch I felt it would never be possible to break 50mph on that bike, but the following day proved that I just needed a steeper hill.

Miller | 4 years ago
0 likes

This is the kph I recorded on Timmelsjoch, I think it was an accurate figure. 

//live.staticflickr.com/8714/16903351281_a0c9b5210d.jpg)

CyclingInBeastMode | 4 years ago
1 like

Sorry but that's still wrong, your speed in the Alps tells me everything and why you should never follow someone else's line and speed, there is such a huge variation in what people are comfortable, never mind safe at.

If you were to follow someone who is comfortable doing 50mph and their line then it absolutely does NOT follow that you are going to be safe following that, this is proven time and time again not just in the pro ranks but amateur riding and leisure riding!

I usually hit 34mph on the way to the supermarket on my shopping bike along the short downhill country road that connects my town with the next, another person might not feel comfortable doing 2/3rds that, why push them to increase speeds they simply aren't happy with?

This continual push to go faster is why people on bikes crash more often, it's completely ridiculous, stop telling people to follow others ffs, this is extremely bad advice!

Riding within yourself, to your feeling of safety is paramount, you learn by what works for you, not someone else as I alluded to with several reasons upthread.

gonedownhill | 4 years ago
0 likes

Went to the French Alps last year, don't think I ever topped 60kmph, 65 maximum for a handful of seconds maybe. Just not that comfortable above that speed.

Concentrate on technique and you can get into a rhythm. If you're following someone faster/more confident than you you can use them as a rough guide for braking points but at the end of the day if they are faster then just let them go away from you bit by bit. There aren't any prizes for going fast.

Xenophon2 | 4 years ago
1 like

"That's why the HC rule about going at a speed you can stop well within the distance you can see to be clear is as important for people on bikes as it is for motorists."

This.

Unless you're getting paid to ride, don't shove too much risk on your plate and don't go looking for the edge because it'll find you sooner than you like.  If you're getting paid to race, you will have rc'ed the road and have received a briefing with what's in store + will be able to handle your bike A LOT better than even a dedicated amateur.  Even then it sometimes goes wrong, occasionally in a disastrous way.  There's no telling what you might encounter when entering a serious curve you don't know at speed.  A bit of fine grit, some spilled diesel on wet tarmac, an off camber curve that becomes sharper while you're in it, an idiot driver coming the opposite way that requires you to take evasive action.  Anyone can go hard and get lucky, few stay lucky.  

theslowcyclistxx | 4 years ago
1 like

Thanks for all the answers. When I crashed, I had pretty much confidence, and I was very low in the corner, so it was probably the result of my unjustified confidence in my skills or position (I even managed to get a few meters on the front group on another descent). But if I understand you all correctly, it wont help my grip to go 32mm, I just need to regain confidence somehow.

maviczap replied to theslowcyclistxx | 4 years ago
0 likes
casperradil wrote:

Thanks for all the answers. When I crashed, I had pretty much confidence, and I was very low in the corner, so it was probably the result of my unjustified confidence in my skills or position (I even managed to get a few meters on the front group on another descent). But if I understand you all correctly, it wont help my grip to go 32mm, I just need to regain confidence somehow.

In a nutshell yes. As one of the others said they had a massive tank slapper, well so did I. This was at about 42 mph on Ventoux, I was white with fear when I finally stopped, so I've had to regain my confidence over time, and I still have days when I'm not at my best, so build it up bit by bit.
I disagree with the above about not going with a good descender, as following someone who knows where to brake and take the right lines is a good way to improve your skills. It's something we do on motorcycle track days, and doesn't mean you take extra risks. I've never taken any notice of my speed, I'm too preoccupied with my line through the corner or looking down the descent which is far more important. I know to judge my own speed without looking at my computer.
I got rid of the bike that had that tankslapper, it'd done it once too often!

CyclingInBeastMode replied to maviczap | 4 years ago
0 likes

maviczap wrote:
casperradil wrote:

In a nutshell yes. As one of the others said they had a massive tank slapper, well so did I. This was at about 42 mph on Ventoux, I was white with fear when I finally stopped, so I've had to regain my confidence over time, and I still have days when I'm not at my best, so build it up bit by bit. I disagree with the above about not going with a good descender, as following someone who knows where to brake and take the right lines is a good way to improve your skills. It's something we do on motorcycle track days, and doesn't mean you take extra risks. I got rid of the bike that had that tankslapper, it'd done it once too often!

Following someone else and THEIR line is not going to do you any good, their bike is different, their handling skills are different, their weight distribution body shape and ability to shift their body is different, their assessment of risk is different, their speed will be different. What someone else does is not what you should do for so many reasons particularly since you're not racing!

You have no idea why they are taking that line and if it's safe, you are taking it on faith but it's their line for them and their ability not yours, frankly it's not just dumb it's reckless to attempt to follow someone elses line and if they are a better descender they are going to lose you on the descent anyway and you'll end up guessing and going too fast and huge increase of crashing. We see this happen in the pro ranks every single year!

Also you have no idea how many times that person has crashed descending (that they'll admit to) basically it's everything you shouldn't do. People like Richie Porte try to follow other better descenders and the likes of himself and others end up coming up a cropper too often.

If the OP thinks this is a better method (to follow someone else) to improve their descending, that's up to them to decide however I would seriously advise to really give that option some thought as this is not how people learn how to descend for themselves and do it SAFELY, that is as I said the be all and end all, nothing else matters over this!

CyclingInBeastMode | 4 years ago
1 like

Forget the tyres and lowering/adjusting pressures, the problems lie elsewhere.

Get back to basics, firstly take your helmet off and ride without, people descending get braver wearing a helmet, often beyond their abilities so crash more often, avoiding coming off is the singularly main priority here as well as gaining back your confidence and enjoying  going downhill not fearing it, that means being in control, not increasing your speed

With all due respect to the above following a confident descender is NOT what you need to be doing right now. you'll instantly descend in a riskier fashion, also, think back as to why you crashed/lost control, diagnose that and remedy it.

Pub bike gives some good pointers, it's about reading the line BEFORE you get there, it's no good braking as you're in a corner, that's too late, it's no good coming across a bit of rough/potholed tarmac that you can't avoid because you couldn't see (around a bend or otherwise) usually going too fast for your brain to take the info in and do something about it never mind the mechanical action of braking/steering which all ads up.

That's why the HC rule about going at a speed you can stop well within the distance you can see to be clear is as important for people on bikes as it is for motorists.

If you misjudge that sharp bend at 40+mph because it gets ever tighter and throws you wide either off the tarmac or into oncoming traffic then that's clearly not good. That happens a LOT, even to the pros, you and I are no exception even when we think we know the terrain. There is absolutely no need to push to go down at the max speed you can for x bit of road, that gives you no leaway whatsoever, hence why people crash a lot because they simply don't have enough time to see and react to the hazard

Feeling comfortable and at eas cycling in whatever scenario is about moderation and feeling in control,  you don't need to push on to enjoy cycling, and it's far better than that nervous feeling or worse crashing and getting hurt/damaging bike

I had a huge tankslapper a few years ago at 46mph, the bars were all over the place and I nearly lost it, it was massively unnerving for quite a long while and I used to be a pretty good descender for a big guy, i bloody loved it in fact. A slightly loose headset, a bit of ropy tarmac just as I was putting the power down into the slope and that was that. I was really nervous going over rough ground at speed after that and forgot to relax, so I slowed down and built things back up again on my own, not following someone else who is totally different to me.

GL whatever way you attempt to deal with it.

EddyBerckx | 4 years ago
2 likes

As Maviczap said, looking through the corner to where you are going (instead of looking straight ahead) and relaxing is the best thing you could possibly do - the difference is pretty amazing, and you can start doing this even on the flat with normal corners, slower speeds first

Pub bike | 4 years ago
2 likes

Was it grip that was the problem that is prompting your thoughts, or was it just carrying too much speed into a bend for the conditions?  If you can't crank the bike over because you're going too fast, having more grip might actually be worse for you.

In the French Alps, for example, a lot of hairpins are similar.  If you can keep one eye on your speedo, you can quickly get to know the maximum speed you can safely carry into a dry hairpin on different lines e.g. inside line, outside line, racing line, which will be three different speeds .e.g 14mph, 18mph and 21mph.   Also, if you have very good visibility down the next straight after a right hand hairpin as you're approaching it then you can take a faster line and achieve a higher speed before the next one.

Once you've worked this out, you just have to make sure you hit those target speeds before you enter the bend.  Sitting upright in good time to maximise drag, and pulling very hard on the ends of the levers from the drops may be necessary if you are carrying a lot of speed e.g. > 40 mph.   Also, if you have panniers on the front, then you have to pull the bars round harder but the bike will still turn in as long as you're not going too fast for the bend.  In the wet the speeds are going to be different of course, but you'll be likely riding much more gingerly in such conditions.  It can be possible to descend safely at around 30mph when it is raining.

Pilot Pete replied to Pub bike | 4 years ago
1 like

Pub bike wrote:

Was it grip that was the problem that is prompting your thoughts, or was it just carrying too much speed into a bend for the conditions?  If you can't crank the bike over because you're going too fast, having more grip might actually be worse for you.

In the French Alps, for example, a lot of hairpins are similar.  If you can keep one eye on your speedo, you can quickly get to know the maximum speed you can safely carry into a dry hairpin on different lines e.g. inside line, outside line, racing line, which will be three different speeds .e.g 14mph, 18mph and 21mph.   Also, if you have very good visibility down the next straight after a right hand hairpin as you're approaching it then you can take a faster line and achieve a higher speed before the next one.

Once you've worked this out, you just have to make sure you hit those target speeds before you enter the bend.  Sitting upright in good time to maximise drag, and pulling very hard on the ends of the levers from the drops may be necessary if you are carrying a lot of speed e.g. > 40 mph.   Also, if you have panniers on the front, then you have to pull the bars round harder but the bike will still turn in as long as you're not going too fast for the bend.  In the wet the speeds are going to be different of course, but you'll be likely riding much more gingerly in such conditions.  It can be possible to descend safely at around 30mph when it is raining.

Got to disagree with a lot of that. You can’t use exact speeds for every bend as every bend is different! And how did you come up with the 30mph figure for safety descending in the wet? I’ve descended at much greater speeds in a straight line in the wet safely, however I’ve gone around bends at significantly slower than 30mph in the wet too. As I said, you can’t give blanket figures for any scenario as they are meaningless.

PP

Pub bike replied to Pilot Pete | 4 years ago
0 likes

Pilot Pete wrote:

Got to disagree with a lot of that. You can’t use exact speeds for every bend as every bend is different! And how did you come up with the 30mph figure for safety descending in the wet? I’ve descended at much greater speeds in a straight line in the wet safely, however I’ve gone around bends at significantly slower than 30mph in the wet too. As I said, you can’t give blanket figures for any scenario as they are meaningless.

PP

I know.  Each to his own.  That 30 mph is in a straight line. There aren't many hairpins I've done at 30mph!!  Maybe on the Simplon pass going West but can't think of any others.     The wet weather experience was really tested riding down the Tiefenbach Gletcherstraße where it is 13% most of the way.  It was raining when I came out of the tunnel.  The target speeds for hairpins were examples (e.g.) by the way.  I have to disagree with you about every bend being different.  The scenery certainly is, but the radii don't vary massively unless the ground is very steep.  Some of the more obscure Italian passes like Colle dei Morte and others in that area are very variable, but heavily engineered descents like Galibier, Telegraph, Izoard, Turini, Bonnette, Stelvio etc tend to  dish up a lot of the same. 

On another note, I like looking down the mountain for very long straight sections where I can try and get a speed record.  My PB was coming down from Kuhtai in Austria where there is a 16% straight section coming in Greisen.  I expect a better known section for very high speeds is towards the bottom of Izoard riding South where there are three villages separated by long 10% straight sections.

Miller replied to Pub bike | 4 years ago
1 like

Pub bike wrote:

On another note, I like looking down the mountain for very long straight sections where I can try and get a speed record.  My PB was coming down from Kuhtai in Austria where there is a 16% straight section coming in Greisen.  I expect a better known section for very high speeds is towards the bottom of Izoard riding South where there are three villages separated by long 10% straight sections.

I descended that side once, admittedly a long time ago, and the road surface on the whole of the Izoard descent was rough as hell and not at all confidence inspiring. My personal speed record was also in Austria descending the upper part of Timmelsjoch heading North. Thinner air at altitude and a long gently curving section with a good surface allowed a crazy high speed.

Coming back on topic, good brakes and a larger volume tyre are certainly no bad things when it comes to managing a descent. 

Pub bike replied to Miller | 4 years ago
1 like

Miller wrote:

My personal speed record was also in Austria descending the upper part of Timmelsjoch heading North. Thinner air at altitude and a long gently curving section with a good surface allowed a crazy high speed.

I did that climb the day before I had my PB.   On Timmelsjoch my max top speed was about 4 mph slower than I achieved the following day coming into Greis im Sellrain, which gives an idea of how steep it is.  This is the start of the hill.    There is a sign indicating that the next section going East is 16%.  The road then just falls away.    There's a Swedish cycle tourist who freewheeled down it at 91 km/h according to his website!

Miller replied to Pub bike | 4 years ago
0 likes

Pub bike wrote:

There's a Swedish cycle tourist who freewheeled down it at 91 km/h according to his website!

Interesting read but that seemed like quite a major traffic accident he had at the end, poor bloke.

maviczap | 4 years ago
2 likes

Even though you think a wider tyre is going to help you because it's putting more rubber on the road, the contact patch isn't going to be much more than the 28mm you're using now.
Sounds like your descending techniques were the cause of your crashes, which has obviously led to you losing your confidence, which I understand. I'm always nervous on my first day descending in the mountains, until I've got my descending head on.
I only use 25mm tyres, either GP4000, or this year Hutchinson Fusions tubeless, which I was really happy with.
I taught an American friend to descend better by telling him
Brake before the corner
Look through the corner where you are going, the bike will go that way.
Relax on the descent, don't grip the bars tight.
Tr

Try to ride with someone who can descend but get them to build the speed up, so your confidence builds up.

As a motorcyclist, I'm used to picking my lines at speed, so I transfer that skill to descending, just accounting for the narrower tyres!

Latest Comments