Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Ride To The Sun

I'm looking for more information on next year's "Ride To The Sun" from Sheppy to Burnham on Sea. Prices, route etc. Thanks in advance

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

4 comments

Dingaling | 4 years ago
0 likes

crazy-legs:

I posted a reply 2 days ago and now I see it has disappeared. I'll try again.

Thanks for the info. Where I live I have ridden Sportives upto 220km and the routes have always been signed. Makes life easy, although, once on a 210km ride I met up with a couple of riders after about 100km and stayed with them for a while. After about 15km I realised something wasn't right and when I questioned them it turned out that they weren't doing the same ride as me and I had to turn around and backtrack to find the junction where I should have turned off. Only added 10km to my ride but backtracking wasn't good for my motivation.

I'm not sure about a night ride through East Anglia. Reading threads on this forum about daytime cycling is scary enough.

I don't own a satnav for the bike because I would hardly ever use it. I know the area where I live so well I can ride all day without getting lost, but I can see it being a pre-requisite for the Chase the Sun because everybody is faster than me and once they get out of site I would have a problem.

I'll keep the ride on my list of next year's possibilities.

Dingaling | 4 years ago
0 likes

I fancy a challenge like this but no route signing!! I'd probably get lost or spend so much time finding my way I'd never make the time limit. My other concern would be the likelihood of having a headwind all day. I've cycled against the wind all day and didn't get anywhere near 200 miles.

crazy-legs replied to Dingaling | 4 years ago
0 likes

Dingaling wrote:

I fancy a challenge like this but no route signing!! I'd probably get lost or spend so much time finding my way I'd never make the time limit. My other concern would be the likelihood of having a headwind all day. I've cycled against the wind all day and didn't get anywhere near 200 miles.

Try something like the Dunwich Dynamo (overnight, 200km from London up to the Suffolk Coast). There's no signage on that one, you just sort of follow the lights in front, refer to the printed route sheet occasionally and if you go off course a bit it won't really matter so long as you're generally going NE! Same here, there'll be other people you can ride with.

Most audax rides are like that - just a  route you download to your GPS and a printed cue sheet. Try a few 200km audax events, you can find them all on http://www.aukweb.net/events/ and it'll give you a good idea of a 300km one like Chase the Sun.

I guess signing up to any event a long time in advance is always a lottery as to what the weather is like on the day but if you plot a bail-out option or two along the route you should get by fine.

arckuk | 4 years ago
0 likes

I think you are looking for the chase the sun event, not ride to the sun. https://www.chasethesun.org/

Latest Comments