Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

road bike choice advice boardman slr8.9 a vs giant contend sl 2

hi, i m asking for advice what to buy between boardman slr 8.9a (full 105 with tektro r315 brakes and mavic cxp elite) or giant contend sl 2 full tiagra 4700 and giant semi hydraulic disk brake, i like tiagra groupset as its cheapee to replace wear parts but that brake system makes me worried as not many mechanics know how to fix and its complicated. thank you in advance

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

5 comments

serbanalexandru | 4 years ago
0 likes

i m leaning toward giant for the tiagra groupset and cheaper price, hoping i will not have serious problems with brake, as i ve read that some people had trouble with them and some didnt had any problems for over 1 year.

cougie replied to serbanalexandru | 4 years ago
0 likes

serbanalex wrote:

i m leaning toward giant for the tiagra groupset and cheaper price, hoping i will not have serious problems with brake, as i ve read that some people had trouble with them and some didnt had any problems for over 1 year.

The 105 set is a step higher up.  If you look after it it'll last you years.  And when you do need to replace it - it doesn't necessarily have to be with 105.  You could go cheaper or more expensive. 

My winter bike has ultegra on and after 7 or 8 winters I replaced the rear mech with 105.  That's just about the only bit I've needed to replace. 

Moist von Lipwig | 4 years ago
0 likes

Currently an extra 10% off the Boardman at Halfords with the code PAYDAY10.

Woldsman | 4 years ago
0 likes

Two of my cycling buddies have Giant bikes with that hybrid brake system. I understand that the solution was put in place to avoid the then hugely bulbous tops of the shifters. Fugly is bad enough, but one bloke - after taking the bike in a couple of times - had some part of the braking replaced under warranty: his brake levers were touching the bars. The other guy is now experiencing the same problem. Dunno about the Boardman. 

Boatsie | 4 years ago
0 likes

https://www.bikeradar.com/reviews/bikes/road-bikes/giant-contend-sl-2-di...

Mention in comments regarding a cable disc opt $300USD cheaper.

From internet looks, Boardman looks racier. 28mm clearance at 9.3kg. Looks fantastic.
Giant reads to be more towards commuter and mileage comfort. Can roll 32mm.

Latest Comments