Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Replacement Audax bike suggestions

Sadly, I was knocked off my bike yesterday (few bumps and minor concussion), but the bike is damaged. I'm taking it to my lbs on Saturday, but fear it may be possibly be a case or replace rather than repair as the frame is bent. If its a case of replace then I would love some suggestions as its not a bike that's made anymore (for information its a Ridgeback Mercury - their current Voyage is similar but closer to a full tourer than a fast tourer). Criteria are: fast tourer/audax, steel frame, forks (steel or carbon), can take mudguards, rear pannier rack, and at least 28mm tyyes with mudguards on. Slight preference for rim brakes. It will be used mostly for commuting at present (all year round), but also for the occasional mid-paced club run, audax ride and weekend touring. Needs to be available in XL. c.£1k

Many thanks.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

9 comments

Woldsman | 4 years ago
0 likes

Genesis Eqilibrium 725 (or Spa Audax) frameset with all the bits you can salvage from your duffed up bike as a starting point? 

kil0ran | 4 years ago
0 likes

Not sure if this will go large enough for you but another good value option if you're looking for a full bike

https://www.templecycles.co.uk/pages/adventure-tour

rjfrussell | 4 years ago
0 likes

surely first question is whether you just want to replace the frame, and transfer wheels, groupset etc across, or are you buying shiny new everything?

iandusud | 4 years ago
0 likes

I don't know if you're anywhere near Harrogate but Resurrection Bikes have the following bike at the moment. 

https://www.resurrectionbikes.org.uk/products/spa-audax-ti-tourer-l-brus...

kil0ran | 4 years ago
0 likes

Condor Fratello if you're in a hurry to replace, lovely things. My neighbour does 200km audaxes on his. Disc or rim brake options. You'd need to salvage parts from your current bike to get it under budget, but potentially very rewarding to do that

alotronic | 4 years ago
1 like

Steel frames, rim brake, good, under £1k, mudguards: Light Blue Wolfson, Condor fratello, Equillibrium 725, Spa Ti audax. Shand if you are feeling well off, Ribble 525 cheapie if not.  Pushing the boat out a bit to get a Yukon. 

CyclingInBeastMode | 4 years ago
0 likes

What size is an XL, that's a 62cm to my mind, is that the size you are looking for, far better talking about actual measurements than generic sizes that don't really mean much.

if you want something you could spend a decent amount on wheels/components without breaking the bank overall then you could do a lot worse than the Roux Menthe Black. Ash Cycles still have a 58cm lited as in stock for under £500 that comes with 9 speed Sora and some fairly bog standard wheels.

It might seem a cheap option but it's Renolds 525 and the forks are Carbon (alu steerer) will take 28mm tyres including the mudguards fitted, I know because I have a 56 that I bought for my son and tested out tyre sizing but resides in the spare room as he never used it!.

Standard 27.2mm post fitment, usual guard and rack eyelets plus a third set of bottle cage mounts. You'd easily get 200 for the group and wheels and then you have  at least £700 to spend on some quality bits, £400 on new/shiny R7000, sell the brakes and get some TRP long drops and the rest on some nice wheels.

OR, Tiagra 4700 is on offer at Vanilla bikes at £282 with their 5% discount on everything offer and then really go to town on hoops and some special tyres. 4700 STIs are same internal mechanicals as 105/Ultegra 11 speed and you can get 11-32 or 11-34 cassette too (it's an extra £5 but the price above takes that into account). You might get it cheaper elsewhere of course.

Sorted.

ConcordeCX | 4 years ago
3 likes

In your position i think i'd consider a frame from Spa Cycles and re-use as many of the old components as possible. They also do ready-built bikes, such as this:

https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m1b0s21p2866/SPA-CYCLES-Steel-Audax-%28Shima...

I have one of their steel audax frames which I built up to use as my #2 bike and it really is excellent. I had it sent to me and it arrived in perfect condition, in good time. They are very good to deal with and knowledgeable.

I have no connection with them other than being a satisfied repeat customer.

Simon E replied to ConcordeCX | 4 years ago
1 like

ConcordeCX wrote:

In your position i think i'd consider a frame from Spa Cycles and re-use as many of the old components as possible.

Good idea. In that case a Kinesis might be worth considering, or perhaps a Genesis Equilibrium.

Latest Comments