Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Safety in cycle lanes for kids - a study...

An interesting study into the perceived safety of cycling for kids

Traffic experts, parents don't always see eye to eye on safe cycling routes for children
Researchers say transportation practitioners should expand definitions of bicycle safe streets

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2019/10/191007141650.htm

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

2 comments

hawkinspeter | 4 years ago
1 like

Thanks.

My take on this is that the parents are probably factoring in the aggressiveness of some motorists and the traffic experts are just seeing cars/trucks etc.

However, it could just as easily be explained by the parents responding to the MSM agenda of portraying cycling as a dangerous activity.

srchar replied to hawkinspeter | 4 years ago
3 likes

hawkinspeter wrote:

Thanks.

My take on this is that the parents are probably factoring in the aggressiveness of some motorists and the traffic experts are just seeing cars/trucks etc.

However, it could just as easily be explained by the parents responding to the MSM agenda of portraying cycling as a dangerous activity.

I would have thought the latter. My local FB group (I know I shouldn't...) is a seething pit of rage at the moment, as the council has closed a road used primarily as a rat-run, for a two-week trial period.  The council's stated aim is to make driving through more difficult, to discourage car use.  There are tons of irony-free posts along the lines of "it took me over an hour to drive 2 miles!" and also lots of advice being swapped about which other rat runs to use instead.  When I suggest that maybe the frothers try a bicycle, most reply that cycling is too dangerous.

Of course, I always ask what it is that makes cycling so dangerous, and the reply from the car-addicted is always "all the cars". Again, without a hint of irony.  See also: "I can't use a bus because it gets held up by all the cars", "Forcing me to sit in a traffic jam increases pollution!" (true, but fake concern), "Cyclists have to weave around the starionary traffic, which is really dangerous!", "I can't walk/cycle/take the bus, it's always raining!".  In well over a thousand posts, not one person has written, "I'm just too lazy."

Latest Comments