Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Cassette weight question

Im looking at replacing my 9sp cassette and my ideal range is 13-28 which only Miche seems to make.
However in comparing it to another cassette such as a basic Shimano Alivio 254g (11-28) the Miche is 334g so 80g heavier. The Miche is about double the price, is the cassette alloy a higher quality? Im just confused as generally more expensive cassettes are lighter.

I realise I probably wont notice the additional weight whilst riding but it still seems odd to me.
Thanks.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

6 comments

bechdan | 4 years ago
0 likes

all good points thanks you good folk

Welsh boy | 4 years ago
0 likes

You are paying for low volume sales.  Ask yourself how much you value the fact that you will have the gear ratios you want and not the ones Shimano mass produce.  Ask yourself how significant 80g is in the overall weight of your bike.  The answer, as far as I am concerned, is that I happily pay the premium for my Miche 11 speed, 13-27 is perfect for me, I dont want an 11 or 12 tooth and I dont want anything bigger than 27, if I went the cheap route I would be carrying 2 or 3 sprockets I didnt want.  Not very good value for money or efficient use of the weight as far as I am concerned.

Simon E | 4 years ago
0 likes

Agree that cost difference is unlikely to be related to weight or materials used. And unless you're at the sharp end of an open hill climb then cassette weight really is the last thing to worry about.

Shimano 12-27 is a nice spread of gears. SRAM PG-950 is available in 11-28, currently £19 at Tredz.

bechdan | 4 years ago
0 likes

yeah good point on the number produced, it had crossed my mind, but it makes sense.

vonhelmet | 4 years ago
0 likes

Miche aren't selling as many cassettes as shimano, and certainly not in an unusual range like 13-28, hence it's more expensive. As for the weight, it does seem a bit high, but it looks like the alivio you refer to is drilled to save weight where the miche isn't. Either way, you're unlikely to notice 80g much.

WeLoveHills | 4 years ago
0 likes

Hmm... Where do these weights/prices come from?

Latest Comments